Vinegar dosing measurments?

casualreefer

I'm having trouble with some cyano so I want to start dosing vinegar instead but I'm not sure what the equivelant to .8 ml of vodka would be in vinegar. Thanks for the help.

Jake

Normal distilled white vinegar in the US is about 8 times less potent than 80 proof vodka. So 0.8 mL vodka ---> 6.4 mL vinegar. :)

The effect over the whole course of the day is the same as vodka, as they both equally end up as CO2, but when first added, it can drop pH. I add calcium hydroxide to it and dose that mixture to prevent that rapid pH drop.

When added all at once, 1 mL of distilled white vinegar per gallon of aquarium water will cause an initial pH drop of about 0.3 pH units.

So if I'm dosing 6.4ml into 100 gallons of water my ph drop will be minimal? My brain is fried right now so doing the simple math is not working. Lol.

i've been screwing around with vinegar dosing on my tank and been dosing like up to 50 mls a day and it was dropping my ph instantly, i'm down to 15mls twice a day now, this is on a 80 gallon and ph still but not as much

Spreading the dose out is desirable for other reasons too (spreading out the O2 drop and reducing the concentration that creatures are exposed to), but adding calcium hydroxide will stop the pH drop.

FWIW, I use a dosing pump and spread the dose out over 12 h. :)

Randy,
How much calcium hydroxide would you add to 2 Liter Vinegar container? And would this have any effect on 2 Part dosing?

It may reduce the need for other supplements, but it depends on how much vinegar you are adding (I add a lot). I don't measure the amount added. I just add it until there is some extra that settles to the bottom. :)

Right now I'm stable at 3.5ml of VSV for 190gal total water volume. But I would like to doss Vinegar only with the aid of a dosser, and keep the vodka for own consumption...:beer:

Vinegar saturated with lime is about 20 times as potent as ordinary limewater, and about 60% as strong as a commercial two part additive system. :)

Vinegar saturated with lime is about 20 times as potent as ordinary limewater, and about 60% as strong as a commercial two part additive system. :)

I have been dripping kalk for over a year and just started dosing vin. Would i be better off mixing the vin with the kalk in my Holding container? As of right now i'm adding 5ml to my top of container. I make up 30 gal at a time and drip 2.5g a day. I mix 15 table spoons of kalk with 30g of water. I only drip at night and maintain a ph of 8.18 to 8.25. Ever sence i have been maintaining this ph my PE has been great on all SPS. Growth has also taken off. I was hoping by adding a carbon source that color would "POP" a little more.

Thanks
Keith

I don't like to mix it with my top off because I don't want to add organic carbon at night, when O2 is lowest and it will lower O2 even more.

Normal distilled white vinegar in the US is about 8 times less potent than 80 proof vodka. So 0.8 mL vodka ---> 6.4 mL vinegar. :)

Just to be clear, just follow the instructions for vodka dosing, but multiply the amounts indicated by 8x. And that would follow as with the entire regimen?

Then compensate for the PH drop with a buffer, which can be premixed with the vinegar?

Don't use a buffer to offset any pH drop, use limewater.

If you start by the usual vodka dosing recommendations , the initial dose is super low so won't impact pH that much.

I'll leave the kit recommendations to others as I rarely use them. When I do test for phospahte, I use the Hach PO-19.

I don't understand, please explain. Why would vinegar saturated with kalkwasser be 20x more potent than ordinary limewater? Thanks

Back