Vinegar dosing

Ab129

I have had issues with green algae in the past. At first it was green on my rocks, no hair. Vinegar dosing worked well for me but at some point I stopped and eventually the algae came back with a vengeance and was totally out of control. Thick, waving hair algae. I tried using reef rx or some other similar product with NO results. Ended up crashing my tank with my fumbling attempts to eradicate the hair algae. After I lost my fish I wrapped the tank for several weeks and that took care of the problem. After that, just in case it was some disease that wiped out my fish, I let the tank sit fallow for about 90 days as of right now.
The only things in my tank right now are a couple of corals I bought last week.
My lights are on low intensity for about 8 hours a day.
Getting ready to add some fish in about 2 weeks, after QT, and I would really like to avoid another problem with the green stuff.
I wanted to begin vinegar dosing now, preemptively, so I could have a little head start with the bacteria for when I add to the bio load.
Is this a good approach or can I screw something up by doing it this way?

The nitrates are high, really a good lvl to prevent algae issues is 5 or below and you have not even introduced fish yet & fish food.... which will raise it more.
I personally am not a fan of single vinegar dosing at all its too one sided. I use NOPOX for dosing as it contains 3 types of carbons instead of one & works great. It lowered my nitrates from 20 as you are reading atm to 5 and i could lower it more but want nutrients for my corals.
Make sure to keep a eye on ALK & PH if they drop too low algae will be next. If ALK is spot on the Mag & Cal probably are too.

I've been vinegar dosing for years. I currently dose 125ml a day in a 265 gallon system. Start slow and work up. NOPOX is just vinegar and vodka. It's also a lot more expensive then vinegar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a sump try get a fuge going, add a small algae eating tang or 2 knowing you will donate/trade them out later if you can. I heard lawn mower blennies are good as well. Not a fan of dosing things that are not fully understood, algae is natural it will balance over time dont rush it.

Having wrapped your tank and run it fallow, you are in a near new tank cycle situation. The best way to avoid algae problems, both short term and long, is to keep the lights out for the entire cycling process.

When cycling, if you have the lights on, you encourage algae-friendly bacteria to form. With the lights out, these don't grow, and only the 'good' nitrifying bacteria grow, which make it much more challenging for algae to get a foothold. Done right, the whole new tank ugly phase can be eliminated, and you're set up for long term algae resistance as well.

I think my biological filter survived the wrapping and fallow period.
I did not have to recycle the tank. Have had two clowns and a tang back in there for a few weeks now and everybody seems happy.

Back