Vodka Dosing Questions.....

I'm considering trying the vodka dosing method but have a couple of questions. My nitrates test 0 (by API test) and according to my Hanna photometer, my phosphates are .11-.14. Would the fact that my nitrates are low and phosphates high cause any problems with this method?. Also, i run a DSB in my refugium. Would this affect anything? Thanks for any answers in advance.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13493925#post13493925 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zt444a
Wow I made a mistake and have been dosing too much! I will back it down and start over. I was dosing 10X too much too!.

In any event, if everything seems ok, no noticable stress, can I just start over and continue on? Or wait awhile, etc?

If you have defined a dose that is not harmful for your tank then you may proceed with that dosing.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13532931#post13532931 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cnaegler
I'm considering trying the vodka dosing method but have a couple of questions. My nitrates test 0 (by API test) and according to my Hanna photometer, my phosphates are .11-.14. Would the fact that my nitrates are low and phosphates high cause any problems with this method?. Also, i run a DSB in my refugium. Would this affect anything? Thanks for any answers in advance.

With a DSB functioning properly you have a few options. Since DSBs will cause denitrification you need to find a way to regulate phosphates. You can do this through GFO or water changes. Additionally, by dosing vodka you can enhance denitrification in the DSB and compete for nitrates and phosphates in the water at the same time. If you dose vodka you will lower phosphates a bit by this method, because you are also denitrifying, but may need to use GFO or some phosphate remover to get your levels lower.

Back