Vodka Dosing Stringy Mess!

TheAviator

Hello everyone! I recently got done cycling and setting up an 80 Gallon tank (Cycle completed over 6 months ago). I have right now one chromis and one conk. I also started vodka dosing every day. Started at .5mL and capped off at 2mL currently. In the past few days, I started noticing white stringy algae all over my rocks and sand. I can't really figure out what this is, but I assume its from the vodka dosing. Anyone know what this may be or how to get rid of it? I just started lowering vodka to 1mL to see if that helps. Thought id ask here to see what you all think.

Bacteria. You were overdosing. Back off when you see bacterial sludge. Personally, I think your tank is too young to even dose carbon.

Yep.. Masses of bacteria (bacterial snot) typically indicative of carbon dosing overdose..

Drop it back to 1mL for now and see how that does..

Are you seeing a reduction in nitrates from the carbon dosing?
Got the skimmer running?

Skimmers running, seems to be pulling a lot of sludge out. Can't seem to fine tune it though. I get a lot of water in my waste cup even at a low setting. I'm actually not seeing a reduction in nitrates at all. But it's not raising either. I'll drop it down to 1mL and see if that corrects the issue.

I fixed the first post of the link. "IMG" tags only work for pictures without framing.

I agree that you are seeing a bacteria bloom. I also agree with backing off on the carbon. Spending a minute or two removing as much slime as is easy to get might help speed the process a bit, but I wouldn't put a lot of effort into it.

I also agree to back off dosing carbon. I have been dosing vodka for over 10 years now and there are times that i would see sludge and just throttle back on the dosing pump a bit. If your tank is under a year old its wayyyy too soon to be using vodka unless you aquired a bunch of fish and corals froma another tank and have an immediate bioload.

Maybe I'll stop all together!

It is normally quite effective at reducing nitrates and even phosphates..
If reduction is needed I wouldn't stop it unless you have something else to continue the effort.

Carbon dosing can take a few weeks or so to get going but should be working to lower nutrient levels..

What are your current nitrate levels and how long have you been dosing for?

So you have only been dosing for a week or so? If so patience...it can take a few weeks or more.
NOTHING good happens fast in this hobby..

You might get faster results if you spend a few minutes a day siphoning out the mess. Just try to get what's easy to get. The idea is to export nutrients. Also, I'd stop any feeding.

Back