Vodka dosing?

BrianOKC

Anyone here locally dose Vodka? I've been reading a lot about it and decided to give it a try 3 days in wish me luck :)

Good Luck! Keep us posted! I actually just bought a bottle of Nikolai vodka today cause I'm also just about ready to give it a go! Hope we see some positive results! Chris

I dose vodka in my frag tank. I've done it for about a year ( give or take) with great results. There's no room for a fuge so i didnt have many options. Be sure to get your doseing right, it dont take much!

what is dosing vodka supposed to accomplish, and can you guys attach a link where you have read. sounds interesting

I'm going to start in a few days. If you read SunnyX's tank post in the SPS keepers section, it's an amazing resource for vodka dosing. He recommends using Brightwell Aquatics' MB7 a few days prior to dosing vodka. That's what I'm planning at least! Hope this helps!

-Chris

i have done this for 2 years now with great results but word of caution make sure your skimmer is working it does great for hard corals and i use a natures made vit C i buy at walmart for the soft coral with great growth of leathers and zoos

Be careful,

Enter into the regime very slowly and be aware that you can NOT in any way shape or form stop once you start. Essentially what you are doing is getting bacteria to grow to an excess. This results in two things happening- both of which removes nitrates.

Firstly, the aerobic bacteria will assimilate nitrates into their cells as part of the protein they contain. They will grow very rapidly and will deplete the oxygen in the water as they grow. - thats the main issue with nitrate removal via carbon dosing.

Second, the anaerobes will convert more nitrate to nitrogen and nitrous oxide, which will enter the water in the tank. Nitrogen will escape but nitrous oxide, in large quantity will begin to have a delterious effect.

this is why you have to increase slowly.

Now- as to why you can not stop.

the moment you quit all that extra bacteria will die. The result will be massive pollution of the tank and the consequences may be a total wipeout.

So, to ensure you are removing as much nitrate as possible- skim agressively. Ensure you get as much oxygenation as possible and if you do decide to stop, decrease as slowly as you increased.

its doable- and works well- but just beware.
Also- figure what the problem is in the first place if you can. Something is maing nitrtaes faster than your system can cope.

Paul.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15501229#post15501229 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pwhitby
Be careful,
Nitrogen will escape but nitrous oxide, in large quantity will begin to have a delterious effect.

this is why you have to increase slowly.

Paul.

Nitrous oxide? Laughing fish? :lol:

LL

yep.

the problem with nitrox is its soluble and has powerful effects on blood pressure in fish....

its a minor point if vodka dosing is done well and slowly...but its a point none the less.

It is very true that a tank can become dependant on the vodka.

Paul they say this also reduces phosphate just not as aggressively as nitrates is this true in your opinion? After seeing some of the peoples tanks that are dosing this stuff I figured I'd give a try on the conservative side. My nitrates were around 15 and I can't seem to get an accurate test on phosphate but I know its playing a role in my system because when I added a GFO reactor it helped control the algae in my system within in a week.

yes, its true but only the assimilation part is effective...ie the bacteria grow by using the phosphate. only way to remove the phos is to remove the bacteria by skimming.

P.

Back