Vodka to Zeo

JustinReef

I have been dosing vodka for a few months again now (successfully) but want to start Zeo. Is there anything I should watch out for with stopping Vodka and starting with zeo?

Can I just start the zeo like you normally would?

I am just starting with the reactor and 3 basics.

Thanks!

Depending on how far zeo you plan to go on your first day, my guess would be that you may want to cut back on vodka a bit or more. If you are going with zeolites I would cut vodka in half. If you are going to start adding there products, then I would surmise using half there recommendation and half vodka for a few days. If you are using both zeolites and additives only add 25% vodka and 50% zeo additives. That would be were I would start.

Thanks...I am a bit confused though.

Is this advice based on continued vodka dosing?

The point of starting zeo was to "replace" vodka dosing. It should theoretically do the same thing and a lot more. Although I don't exactly know what vodka is doing to my tank long term...

I am getting way too uneasy about vodka dosing even though it seems to be working ok right now. The reason for starting was I have a very high bioload. It was suggested to me right away to start zeo (good with high bioload) but instead I thought I would try vodka dosing again (failed the first time) to keep my nitrates down.

So I am unsure about how to transition. Part of me still doesn't want to stop with the vodka and saving money by NOT running zeo would be nice...

Maybe I should ask peoples opinion...although I know where this could go!

Is there that much of an advantage to running Zeo to achieve low nutrients over dosing vodka to achieve low nutrients. I understand they are not quite doing the same thing but my reason behind both are the same. I want to keep nitrates down.

I know I am going to get the usual answer to find the problem...I know the problem...I have too many fish, love them all (none are going) and I love to feed them. I do weekly water changes, have a decent skimmer (bubblemaster), good flow, minimal rockwork in the display to collect detritus, ect., ect.

The real solution is to get rid of some fish but I am not willing to do that. Or feed them less but again, I am a sucker for their begging!

Right now nitrates are anywhere from between 5-15. Usually right around 10ppm. My sps have great polyp extention, decent color (although not great) and grow relatively fast. I know if would be better without the nitrates though.

Phosphates are not an issue. I have no algae growing anywhere and they test at 0. Even my chaeto does not grow. I have no idea why phosphates have been undetectable in both tests and bad algae in the tank but they have. I guess I am just lucky. Literally not a spot of algae growing on rocks. I have a feeling it has to do with my kalk dosing.

Anyways, perhaps I should think about this a bit more. I am not going to start the zeo today and can still return everything as its not opened.

I guess I am no the fence!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14138558#post14138558 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by justinpsmith

The point of starting zeo was to "replace" vodka dosing. It should theoretically do the same thing and a lot more. Although I don't exactly know what vodka is doing to my tank long term...

You asked how one may go about transitioning. I gave you were I would start on transitioning. As for stopping vodka, I would phase out the vodka within a week or so while the zeo products start to kick in by ramping up the zeo and ramping down the vodka.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14138758#post14138758 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Genetics
You asked how one may go about transitioning. I gave you were I would start on transitioning. As for stopping vodka, I would phase out the vodka within a week or so while the zeo products start to kick in by ramping up the zeo and ramping down the vodka.

Yes I guess I misunderstood your initial answer. Thanks.

I use ZEO but never tried vodka (at least for my tank :twitch: )

I know with ZEO Start2 it contains different carbon sources that feed the various bacteria strains in their ZEObak.

It was explained to me that one feeds off the other, a daisy-chain like effect.

I believe vodka is only one carbon source.

The ZEOFood7 is a mixture of carbon sources & amino acids.

Probably some better answers in the Zeo forum.

Back