Vodka / vinegar dosing

csantanavaz

Hi all.

I have not got a sump / protein skimmer in my current 100gl setup... can I vinegar/vodka dose in my tank? Do I literally just pour it in?

Tried alot of things to get rid of nitrate but not having any success.

If you think I should buy a skimmer then please could you recommend one? 100gallons is my tank. Current paramaters all 0 except nitrates always at 40 (WILL NOT GO). Im not over feeding and I change 75 litres of the water every 2-3 weeks.

I have tried adding anaerobic bacteria and all the reef sea stuff - no change at all.

Any ideas? Im desperate to get corals but obviously this is massively holding me back.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Calvin

A skimmer would be my first move before dosing. Imo that's your issue. Also I would not dose without skimming.

Really any skimmer better than no skimmer: find some used on eBay or craigslist.

Yeah, you pretty much need to have a skimmer in order to dose. Dosing promotes nitrate eating bacteria. If you don't pick up those nitrate laden bacteria in your skimmer, the nitrate will never leave the tank.

Any advice on a particular skimmer? Im planning to upgrade to a 300gal system withon the next year (once i know what im doing) so if its a case of buying a skimmer good enough for that now then will do that now.

Sump wise - do I need a sump? Or can I run a skimmer without one?

If you can recommend a brand that would be good.

You can run a skimmer without a sump, but it's better to have a sump. If it's feasible for you to get one, you'll thank yourself sooner than later for doing so.

It is feasible yeah. Am I right in thinking a sump is essentially a water container in which you put things (ie a skimmer)?! If so. I have a plastic container which will fit a good 50gals in (possibly 75) which I might make into a sump.. or would you recommend just biting the bullet and buying one..

The plastic container should suffice, unless you want to get fancy and compartimentalize for a fuge, reactor chambers, etc. But just to hold equipment and extra volume, it'll do.

On the same subject... would a rubber maid container work as a single container sump or refugium for that matter? There is no need for it to actually be a tank right?

On the same subject... would a rubber maid container work as a single container sump or refugium for that matter? There is no need for it to actually be a tank right?

Yes. My sump.

jVREz0nEqLmxC.jpg

Make sure you get one with ridges in the side and that feels very sturdy or else it will bow out.

I didn't see if anyone said earlier but carbon dosing should not be done without a skimmer.

Yes. My sump.

jVREz0nEqLmxC.jpg

Make sure you get one with ridges in the side and that feels very sturdy or else it will bow out.

I didn't see if anyone said earlier but carbon dosing should not be done without a skimmer.

well that is inspirational!! i will definitely be doing something similar. time to source myself a massive (preferably clear) box that will hold 150 litres or so! after ive got myself that i think i'll buy a skimmer & then go mental if the nitrates haven't left!

skimmer wise - am i right in thinking if i buy the best i can afford (even if it is for a bigger tank than mine) then it will be more efficient? was going to buy one capable of handling 300-500 gallons as i will eventually upgrade to a tank that big...?

Thanks for the thread Tom - shall read tonight before bed!

thanks again everyone - the LFSs in the UK are either tiny, or know nothing - i mentioned carbon dosing to my LFSs 'marine expert' and he couldn't muster up anything!

Back