VorTech 40 and 65 Gallon

Would one MP40 be able to handle the flow in my standard 65 sps reef?

You will likely have some spots that are more appropriate for LPS depending on how your rock work is set up and where your returns are pointed.

Is this a new tank/just frags or is there already colonies grown in? If it is existing than how is everything set up now?

I have an MP40 in my 4' tank and I run it at 50% and the amount of flow is astounding... I think you'll be fine.

EDIT: To be clear, I do have a pretty open aquascape

The tank has been set up for about a year and half. The corals have only been in for about six months now. Most are medium sized frags with a few smaller colonies. The tank has a corner overflow, so the rock work is built up near the overflow and then spreads downward toward front and other side of tank (hopefully this makes sense). I am using two Tunze 6040 and two Jebaos pp8, but want a more reliable and stronger pump for long term success. The Tunzes flow the water from front to back and the Jebaos are creating a standing wave in the tank.

The tank has been set up for about a year and half. The corals have only been in for about six months now. Most are medium sized frags with a few smaller colonies. The tank has a corner overflow, so the rock work is built up near the overflow and then spreads downward toward front and other side of tank (hopefully this makes sense). I am using two Tunze 6040 and two Jebaos pp8, but want a more reliable and stronger pump for long term success. The Tunzes flow the water from front to back and the Jebaos are creating a standing wave in the tank.

The MP40 is expensive, but once you have it you won't regret it. It's one of the few "premium" products that really doesn't make you regret it, IMO. They are really nice. The quality is immediately evident and the built-in programming is exceptional. I'd keep the Tunze and ditch the Jebaos for the MP40.

I have a mp40 and a mp10 on a 40g breeder SPS tank. A single MP40 is enough. I had both so I use both, but when I take my MP10 offline to clean, the mp40 can hold its own. There will be dead spots if you have a packed tank, but it moves a lot of water.

Having 2 pointed at each other on random flows does wonders at stirring up everything.

Thanks for the link, some very useful info in there! I have pulled the trigger and ordered two MP40's. Once they are installed will have to see what flow my corals respond to best and go from there.

Back