Vortech MP10 ES in NanoCube.....Your Thoughts

ReefRDude

I just bought a Vortech MP10 ES with Battery back Up for my JBJ 28 HQI NanoCube. I have a mixed reef with SPS, Softies etc.....If you have a Vortech MP10, MP40 etc....in your NanoCube please post your experiences.

My questions are what Modes do you like best. What is the best placement? Do you run your stock returns on Wavemaker or just run them at the same rate?
Does the Vortech do a good job of removing detritus from the bottom of the tank??

Thanks for any advice or help you can give me.

My Dad used a Vortech for about 2 months on his 24 gallon NanoCube then I stole it back, LOL.

It was awesome on there! Way better than a Koralia Nano or Koralia 1. I only set it up on like 40% power and used Lagoon mode.

The Vortechs create the best undertow you will find. They clean the bottom of the tank really well!

I've got an MP10 in my NC28 and it's great. I run both stock returns full time (one connected to a chiller) and get all the flow randomness I need from the MP10 at about 50%. I use reefcrest mode, but occasionally switch to short pulse or NTM to change it up and/or remove detritus that happens to be stuck in places before a water change.

Mine is center front/back and about 1/3 from the top (any higher creates vortices to the surface). Flow spread is super-wide, it's amazing. You can't go wrong with this purchase.

I've got an MP10 in my NC28 and it's great. I run both stock returns full time (one connected to a chiller) and get all the flow randomness I need from the MP10 at about 50%. I use reefcrest mode, but occasionally switch to short pulse or NTM to change it up and/or remove detritus that happens to be stuck in places before a water change.

Mine is center front/back and about 1/3 from the top (any higher creates vortices to the surface). Flow spread is super-wide, it's amazing. You can't go wrong with this purchase.

I've got the same set-up and agree the MP10 is great!

paired domino clowns
McCoskers Flasher Wrasse
yellow goby
red mandarin dragonet
bubble tip anemone
a clam (forgot what kind)
sand sifting starfish
cuc

frogspawn
torch coral
a couple of Zoas
a couple of xenias

Crank the stock return and put the mp10 on reef crest. But hey man, play around with it. See what you, and most importantly your corals like the best.

I have the mp10 in my 30c gla tank. I go between ntm and lagoon mode as well . Great for getting rid of hang on deters. Turn it on in ntm mode once every 2 days.

Starting to see a bunch of micro bubbles. May be due to stock return system. Are you guys getting any Micro Bubbles w/ Vortech's ?????

Starting to see a bunch of micro bubbles. May be due to stock return system. Are you guys getting any Micro Bubbles w/ Vortech's ?????

Only if it is placed to close to the top of the water. It will create a Vortex and suck in air. Make sure the pump is about 5" under the water surface.

I've got an MP40 on my 25g, but now that I don't have much in it, I've had to dial it down considerably. It used to be on about 80%. An MP10 would work out perfectly, even though I typically prefer a bit more in the long term--that depends upon what you'll be keeping, however.

Thanks to everyone for all your comments.

UPDATE.....Through a little trial and error I have learned that it is best to keep your Stock Wavemaker running on the NanoCube when you add a vortech and this is why......

When both returns are running along w/ the Vortech MP10 it tends to push too much water through the overflow and thus starts to Flood the Media Basket (I even have an InTank Media Basket which is 78% larger) Also, for some reason, when both returns are running I started experiencing a ton of MicroBubbles and double the evaporation. I just bumped my wavemaker timer up to 5 Minutes before it switches sides. I felt this would be less intrusive on the MP10's water movement.

Thanks to everyone for all your comments.

UPDATE.....Through a little trial and error I have learned that it is best to keep your Stock Wavemaker running on the NanoCube when you add a vortech and this is why......

When both returns are running along w/ the Vortech MP10 it tends to push too much water through the overflow and thus starts to Flood the Media Basket (I even have an InTank Media Basket which is 78% larger) Also, for some reason, when both returns are running I started experiencing a ton of MicroBubbles and double the evaporation. I just bumped my wavemaker timer up to 5 Minutes before it switches sides. I felt this would be less intrusive on the MP10's water movement.

Couple of things I've learned...

Running both stock pumps at once seems to work better than alternating via wavemaker. Better flow and I keep the water level about 1/2 inch from baffle separators. No microbubbles. And, the previously noisy right pump is totally silent now.

Regarding overflow---I replaced filter floss with cut up blue bonded filter pads on the top shelf of media basket. Much better flow and easy to remove. Water is as clear as filter floss without the fuss.

I am intrigued by the Vortech MP10. Tank looks good except for some dead spots that cultivate some cyano. The Koralia is large and ya have to cut a notch in the hood to allow the cord to pass through.

Back