VorTech MP40W too powerful for 50g 36x18x18

Overland04

Wisher of the redo button
Im going bare bottom on a one year 50g setup.
It a T5 SPS tank. The only flow will be from a mag7 return and a Vortech MP40.
Is the MP40 too much for a 50g?

I have a 58g tank I'm setting up. It's the same footprint, just a little taller. I was actually gonna give the new MP10 a shot. Seems like it should still be plenty of flow(1500gph top).

I would definitely stick with the MP40w; it's a good amount of flow. I am using 2 40's in my 65g (same foot print), and I love them. They're both around 70%. I also have an MP20 in my 30g (2'x2'), and I have to admit that I was a little disappointed with the flow. MP10's are for small setups if you're doing SPS.

Since I was going bare bottom i figured I could really crank it up.
Do you think I will have a problem with the height of the waves because I went rimless?

You don't need to run it in a wave-making mode. I have one on my 70-gallon (much different dimensions than yours though, almost a cube) and in reef crest or lagoon mode I see less than 1/2" ripples at the surface. I run mine at 100%.

I am running the MP20 on my 50g breeder, gives me nice flow on Reefcrest mode. I MIGHT upgrade to the MP40w driver eventually. I also have sand and it should still be all good.

Brad

I run an MP40W on a 55 gal at about 50% and it works fine. I even have a modded 6025 in there as well, but lately I've left it off. The problem I have is that I can't put any corals close to the pump and for smaller tanks, real estate is pretty valuable. I have to keep all my corals 6 - 8 inches away from the powerhead.

Well since I was going bare bottom I thought I could mount it low and behind the rockwork. That way I can blast the entire bottom of the 50g. Will it work well like that?

put it this way... my MP40 creates considerable flow in my 290gal and it is left on its lowest setting! it moves the whole volume of the tank lol

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14780725#post14780725 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Milhouse
I have a 58g tank I'm setting up. It's the same footprint, just a little taller. I was actually gonna give the new MP10 a shot. Seems like it should still be plenty of flow(1500gph top).

I have the MP20 on a 58 LPS tank. It is just about right, but wish I had slightly more (running short pulse/wave). If you use reefcrest, it would likely do the trick.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14782494#post14782494 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PogoMonogo
i can't see why anyone would buy anything other than the MP40. Just turn it down and its awesome.

Not everyone is made of money ;) 190 vs >400 isn't a small difference.

Back