Vortech preorders are going!

Ordered mine as well.

Any way to get a manual up on here for it before its release? Would love to know more about its programming capabilities and how it will be accomplished.

This is awesome! I hope to get on the pre-order list as well. I got the ES drivers a few weeks ago but would love to be able to control the mp40w's with the Apex

I think I know what a bunch of people who did a preorder of a Vortech module are going to say. Why do you think the Vortechs are better than the Tunze?

I think I know what a bunch of people who did a preorder of a Vortech module are going to say. Why do you think the Vortechs are better than the Tunze?

I think they're both great powerheads but for the tunze I just didn't like the wires in the aquarium. I had a blue jaw trigger that would tear into the silicone on my aquarium and if it were the tunze pump it would have chewed the cable. I like the different flow patterns, much wider flow, no wires in the tank, easy to take apart and put together and replace parts, wireless communication between each driver, wireless communication between the mp40w and mp10w, feed mode and feed mode speed, backup battery speed, etc... ecotech added so much with the new ecosmart drivers-- prior to this, i still replaced the tunze pumps i had over these, but I haven't had tunze variable speed pumps

you can't go wrong with either of these if the speed is adjustable, especially since the apex can/will control either of them.

I looked closely at both when I was doing my last tank build. I finally decided on 2 MP40W pumps to complement my OM-4 & closed loop. For me, the deciding factor was the size... STREAMS are *big*.

I don't think anyone can refute the overall quality and reliability of the Tunze pumps. The Vortechs have had their share of issues, but seem to have come a long way in that regard. One of mine was really noisy & vibrated a lot out of the box, but tech support was great and they sent me a new wet side promptly; I never had a problem after that. The only reason I quit using them was because my toddler grandson kept grabbing the cables, yanking off the dry sides.

I've used both several different times, and different generations or models. I always side with Tunze, mostly for noise levels.

Vortechs are great for the wider flow out of box, and less bul/wires in the tank- however they can be an eyesore if they are used on a viewing side of a tank. They are noisier than any Tunze, but only really noticeable on a silent setup- otherwise it will blend into reef tank noise.

Tunzes are nearly dead silent. They are extremely reliable with legendary service to back them up. They can be tucked out of view in the corners, and there is only a couple inches of wire in the tank- although the magnet and mounts make them more intrusive. Vortech like flow can be achieved by adding a wider nozzle to the fron of some models- ie use a 6205 cover on a 6105 and the flow is almost identical to a vortech.

3rd party control now applies to both, thanks to Neptune :)- beat the two other companies to it as well. IMO the Neptune control of the streams is far more customizable than the Tunze controllers. Im interested to see if Neptunes Vortech control will give the same.

I currently have 2 mp40w's on my 180, but want to add more flow. im considering either another mp40w (or 2) or a tunze 6205. I dont have any experience with the bigger tunze, but i know the support for them is great. I bought a used 6080 awhile back, and it didnt work right so i sent it to roger and he got it fixed up and sent it back! only thing i paid for was shipping to him. I havent had any issues with my mp40's, had them for almost a year now, but from what i hear is once the warranty is up you have to pay for the parts to get them fixed. love the pumps though!

I was told no, as the new modes are a mix of the existing ones. You can program to mimic them though.

who were you told no by? it says right on the neptune website that it does support the new modes (but that means you must have the new pumps/drivers of course)

"Wirelessly controls any of Ecotech's wireless pumps (WWD or EcoSmart)."

http://www.neptunesys.com/index.php...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

but then it does say this "Supports Ecotech's Constant, Reef Crest, Lagoon Random, Pulse, Sync and Anti-Sync modes. "

so maybe you are right!

Curt. Correct, those are the older modes. Its no big deal though as you can program the "new" modes in with the module as they are just a mix of the older modes.

who were you told no by? it says right on the neptune website that it does support the new modes (but that means you must have the new pumps/drivers of course)

"Wirelessly controls any of Ecotech's wireless pumps (WWD or EcoSmart)."

http://www.neptunesys.com/index.php...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

but then it does say this "Supports Ecotech's Constant, Reef Crest, Lagoon Random, Pulse, Sync and Anti-Sync modes. "

so maybe you are right!

Back