Vortechs and Sea Swirls?

patsfan1130

Premium Member
That's a lot of flow for a 4' 90g. what is powering the SS? Not saying it's too much. What type of tank are these on/ going to be on?

Daniel Reef

I don't have the tank equipment installed yet. I plan on installing Pan World 200PS Magnetic Water Pump for my return. It has 1750 gph.

patsfan1130

Premium Member
It's not required IMO. For an sps tank, I would prob go with 2 Vortechs. 2 would be ok as well on a non sps tank as well but you would more than likely be dialing them back a bit. all that being said, In my opinion....Vortechs start to get fun when you have 2 :)

tkeracer619

Premium Member
Ditch the sea swirl and go with the two vortechs. You do not need that much flow going through your sump. It actually can cause issues with a 90g.

I would shoot for a pump half the size. Around 900gph.

kvosstra

I'd do the 2 vortech's and a smaller pump on the seaswirl. I would go for a 500-750 gph pump would be just fine. Consider a Eheim 1262.

Best,
-Kyle

Daniel Reef

The return pump is attached to my return manifold, which has two lines back to the DT and another line to a series of three small media reactors. I plan on turning down the vortechs so that they don't make as much noise and don't work as hard.

rbnice1

Even turned down you wouldnt need more then the 2 mp40's unless you are turning them down below 60%ish. And you are going to be in microbubble hell running that much flow through your sump. You will want about 550-800gph return and 150-200gph for your reactors.

This from experience. I had a 90 sps tank with 2 mp40's before i upgraded to the 155.

Oh... As long as you dont run in short or long pulse mode, and stay below 85%ish power you wont hear your mp40's.

username in use

Sciencing Daily
I would keep at least one sea swirl. They do a great job of moving water to different areas of the tank, and then augment it with a vortech or 2. And plus 1 o less flow through the sump. 750-900gph through a single sea swirl would be wonderful for adding a lot of randomness to the vortechs.

albano

SALTWATER since '73
Premium Member
Probably be better (and slightly cheaper) to go with smaller return pump and 1 sea swirl (since you need a return anyway), in addition to 1 or 2 MP40s, (add second MP40 when you go to SPS). My present system is a 130G with 1 SS, and 1 MP, and a 170g with 1 of each. I have a thread on MR that shows the tanks http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/60301-dream-come-true-setup-albanos-house.html
On my new 450g build, my return is thru 3 sea swirls, with 3 mp40s on rear wall, and a CL with Ocean Motions 4 way...looking for ALOT of flow. My build thread is http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/63397-hundreds-corals-fish-free.html

floridazooguy

I had a 90g aga tank with 2 sea swirls and loved the flow. I made both lines in my over flow box go to my sump and had two return lines with pvc go striaght to my sea swirls. I did have to cut my over flow box slots and use screen.

waldomas

I have a 6' 180 gal w/ two mp40's (one on each side). Mt return pump is an eheim 1262 going through a 1" seaswirl. I love the random flow I get when the ss crosses paths w/ the vortech. I think it would be great in a 90 gal. as well! Maybe a smaller return pump w/ a 3/4" ss.

mcoomer

Rat Bastard!
I'd rock two Sea Swirls and MP40W's in that tank. You can always dial them back until you find the right amount of flow.

Mike