Want a new inhabitant. Help me! 55 Gal

CoRPS

Big Time Reefer
Hey guys, so I've kind of been falling out of the hobby. I've had my tank for almost a year. I think my biggest reason for kind of falling out is that I haven't gotten anything new to excite me. So, I want to get a new fish/invert that will help boost me back into the hobby.

Current inhabitants:

Fish
2 Oscellaris Clowns
1 African Midas Blenny
1 Royal Gramma

Inverts
2-3 Peppermint shrimp
Various snails (cerith, astrea, trochus, nassarius, etc)
Various hermits (Couple of nice sized red hermits, handful of blue legs)
1 Long Spine Urchin

Corals
Lots of different zoas/palys
Couple kinds of mushrooms
GSP
Xenia
Torch Coral
Frogspawn

LR
I've been adding cured live rock since I started my tank, I think I'm up to about 120-180lbs of LR.

It will be going in a 55g with plans on converting to a 90g. I have the 90g I just need to procure the rest of the hardware (pumps, PVC, larger skimmer and I have to finish the stand). Should be done (if I get hooked again) within the next couple of months, I'd say within 6 months.

I want to get something that will be plenty active, and by that I don't mean constantly darting around the tank, but looking productive. Picking at the rocks, hunting down pods, whatever. If possible I'd like the inhab to do something useful/beneficial for the tank. I have a small amount of both bubble and some other kind of green algae, not enough to agitate me but if I could get something that will whipe it out that'd be nice.

Here's a picture, sorry for the horrible quality but my iPhone hates dimly lit rooms.
tank.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Want a new inhabitant. Help me! 55 Gal

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15461912#post15461912 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CoRPS

LR
I've been adding cured live rock since I started my tank, I think I'm up to about 120-180lbs of LR.

It will be going in a 55g with plans on converting to a 90g. I have the 90g I just need to procure the rest of the hardware (pumps, PVC, larger skimmer and I have to finish the stand). Should be done (if I get hooked again) within the next couple of months, I'd say within 6 months.

The real answer to your question is throw your self into the 90g project trust me this will get you hooked once your moving on it and then you can slowly add corals etc to the tank you may also consider some of the more unique corals (harder to keep but more interesting to watch).

Remember:
"When in doubt go all out."

Oh and I like more rock then most people but your good, infact you could set up the 90g with just what you have in the 55.

emerald crabs aren't very inspirational.... i mean if your pretty good at reef keeping and you really really want to get back into it you could get a mandarin? they're awesome and you really have to take care of them. you would need tons of pods though. and it sounds like you have enough LR to keep him happy. emeralds would clear up your algae though. you could get a sand sifter goby like a yellow watchman or a diamond watchman. they're pretty cool and much much easier to take care of than a mandarin (oh and i like tons of rock as well.)

Fish wise, I love my dwarf angel, TONS of personality. I find him making sorta like a race course out of the rock. Then runs the race, over, and over, and over again.

Invert wise, I have heard really cool things about a decorator crab, I want one. I guess they will take a polyp here and there and glue it on their back, so it's like a moving frag.

Back