Want to build a sump this weekend, have some questions....

MrRoo

In Memoriam
I tried to search but I can never get it to work :(

I was just going to buy the largest aquarium I can fit under my stand and go from there. Is there any how to? I want to put in a refug which will hold LR and LS but how do I add the baffles? Do I need to add the bubble baffles? I would really like to just buy one that is pre-made if possible but I can't find any online except this one:
lg-29667-39456-fish-filter.jpg

Any help is appreciated. I would prefer to go acrylic so I can drill it easier.

Scoobaman17

I made my own, found a used acrylic tank that would fit in my stand, got some pieces cut form my local plastic store and siliconed them in. Remember acrylic stretches if you do this so you need LESS than perfect cuts. Here is a picture of my custom sump/fuge.
P1010107.jpg

MrRoo

In Memoriam
Any special type of silicone or just aquarium silicone? How far are the baffles suppose to be? How about the bubble baffles?

Thanks for posting a pic, anymore anyone has would be very helpful!

Scoobaman17

I'd say space the bubble baffles around an inch apart, use a 2X4 to help lift up the second portion of the bubble traps. Aquarium silicone you can get at lows, home depot, or at the LFS. From the picture if you can't really see I have water going down into the "skimmer" area, then overflowing down about 1/2 inch into the rock rubble area then through another divider "not overflowing" into the fuge with cheato and light, then bubble traps into the main return pump area. Been working great for me, Space it out though, think about how much room for each type of what you will need when it comes time for maintenance.

Tswifty

Click on my redhouse... I built one in my build thread out of a 30 gallon tank.

I use Clear GE Silicon I Window and Door, that I picked up from Lowes.

Here are a few pics of the sump from the thread.

165449fsump1.jpg

165449fsump2.jpg

165449fugeplum2.jpg

16544990sump1.jpg

I ended up not using the bubble trap, because I believe the filter sock reduces the bubbles enough.

MrRoo

In Memoriam
Ok so you put the sump in with the 'in' line? and then a bubble trap, fug, bubble trap, return line?

Daniel.luu

I just upgraded to a ER skimmer and it's bigger than my old hang on skimmer. I have 3 section sump/fuge.

Now, when i put my ER skimmer in the middle, flows to return pump which spitting out lots of microbubbles. what would you recommend to block off the bubbles? Should I just get a new sump ?

Thanks,

Tswifty

Yeah they are... I figured you would notice that... haha...

That was just for the picture... I just set everything in there.

If I had used the bubble trap, the middle baffle would have been raised about 1/2 "

Tswifty

The water in my sump flows from out to in if that makes sense.

165449returnline.jpg

The large center drain line is the only one which carries water out of my display tank for me.

If you notice it T's off at the bottom and one side of the T goes to the refugium, the other goes to the intake/skimmer chamber. I control how much flow travels through the refugium by using the ball valve, which allows me to regulate the flow, and "kick it up" every once in a while if I desire to.

Both outer sections drain into the center section where my return pump is located.

I do it this way, because I believe (their are lots of arguments for other ways) that my fuge should be fed by water that has not yet been skimmed or filtered to feed the cheato.

That's a brief explanation... I believe it is explained better in the thread with some comments from others.

MrRoo

In Memoriam
Awesome thanks. Was it hard to drill the glass? I would really like to go acrylic but I can't find any cheap tank around me.

Tswifty

I didn't drill any glass. The bulkhead in the sump is plugged. It was drilled for something that the previous owner used.

I just purchased panes or sheets of glass from a local glass shop.

The 4 baffles and the one with a whole cost like $15 all together.

I used 1/4" glass... when you make your measurements make sure you subtract the width of the glass on the sump tank.

for example... say your sump tank is 12" wide, and built with 1/4" glass. you will want to have your glass pieces cut to 11-1/2" wide in order to fit inside.

MrRoo

In Memoriam
Awesome thanks. I think I am going to use acrylic for the baffles but I guess I will go on the hunt for a cheap tank this weekend.