Wanted: acropora eating flatworms

EricHugo

Premium Member
If anyone has or knows someone with the Acropora eating flatworms, I am very interested in obtaining some alive. I am willing to pay for shipping. Please contact me at eborneman@uh.edu. Thank you.

Hey Eric whats up reefer! First let me say Hello! I'm a huge fan or your research!!!!!

I'm very glad to say...I can't help ya out friend....

If I see any on any new shipments their yours!

Keep up the good work!

Are you researching new ways to kill these suckers...?

Doc

Eric is back????!!! i HOPE so.

i wish i could help you out....but i hope i don't have them. my buddy just got rid of them.

anything you can spill on what you need them for?

Lunchbucket

Eric,
Finally somebody wants to address the major problem,in this hobby today.This is the best news any SPS reefer can have today.
I'm glad you are on board.I don't have them now.I'm sure you will get plenty of offers.Keep us all posted,what makes them do all this damage.
Glad you are on our side now Eric:)
I know for sure that Fonda is still dipping to get rid of hers.I'm sure she wouldn't mind mentioning here name.She be more than will to help this hobby out.Here is her email address.
znut@g-net.net
I'm sure once she reads the forum.She be this first one to offer you as many as you want.

I did find I had some AEFW on some sps that were in my 180 mixed reef. But have not found them in my 550 main sps reef that I ocassionally sell frags from. So all who have bought frags from me have not received any AEFW from my tank. I wanted to post this for all who have read the post Reefflections my friend Curt posted.

I plan to dip the acros again this weekend in the 180 and if I can find enough FW to send to Eric. I'll be happy to help any way I can.

znut you have a african grey...?

I have several! We breed parrots as a hobby as well as reefs!

Hope Eric can help future reefers out with those nastys!

Doc

Hi DOC,

Yes I do have a African Grey, she is 17 now. I have had her since she was 9 weeks old. Shes alot of fun and will talk your ears off!

Yes, I agree it will be a wonderful breakthrough in this hobby if Eric can help future and present reefers out with those nasty AEFW. I'm sure it's not helping the acro industry right now. So hope all will do what they can to help Eric in his research!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7642651#post7642651 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The DOC
znut you have a african grey...?

I have several! We breed parrots as a hobby as well as reefs!

Hope Eric can help future reefers out with those nastys!

Doc

This is funny .......We have an African grey , Yellow nape,senegals, and lots more. We also breed smaller parrots but I am into the fish and corals more and she's the oppisite :D

Eric, I wish you would have posted this a few months ago. I could have sent you enough to do a lot of research on. But I treated everything and I'm hoping to never have to deal with them again. But I will eagerly await the results of your research to learn more about these monsters and what we can do to prevent them from getting into our tanks.

Eric,

Any updates omn how this is going ? The majority of us are thankful for your participation in this topic. Please ignore the negative comments of the listless minority (I know that the rest of us do :)).

Monti:

1. Salt study is going well. On the elegance coral project, some of the mosre pertinent histoslides are posted at ericborneman.com. I have a CD burned of the images and have sent them out and am consulting with two histopathologists on the findings and I will have an article written soon on it. I think I explained initially that this would not be a fast or easy task as many of the people I work with can't drop everything to do a favor for free in the midst of their own extraordinarily busy schedules. If only you knew how many hours I have invested in that project...which I might add, is a "side project" for the hobby, so a little understanding would be appreciated. I have never not delivered as promised, and I also posted that all information and the results will first go to Reef Central and those who donated to the project.

As for the flatworms: I recently received some flatworms from a donor (thank you!!) - but I think we are dealing with at least two, maybe three types from the images I have seen posted and what I got today. I have already sent samples to acoel systematists for description/identiication. I am going to watch these guys and their behavior. They look very similar to ones I found in the Caribbean - different color, same size, same behavior. I also figured out those were extremely sensitive to Lugol's and will culture the ones I have now and see if they are similarly sensitive. But, I think I have the wrong flatworms here....going to do some poking around.

Erick let me ask my friend I know he still has the same flat worms that most people have. I know that I had a b!#*$ of a time getting rid of them. Also when I did the lugols treatment they did not die so, I think the ones you got are not the same one that are verry dangerous to sps. Let me see if I can get some for you.
Mario

One more thing....I found several egg masses under a lesion of recently denuded tissue on the skeleton. They were not stongly attached like the egg masses of the Montipora nudibranchs. I used a dissecting scope and some fine forceps and they just pulled right off. I fixed them in warm Bouin's solution, but since of the corals sent, there were only a few fragments with the flatwoms on them, I fixed them all - may be some more on the fragments I put in quarantine.

The lesions appeared to be like a white band type lesion with the flatworms disappearing in and out of the septa and occasionally moving right up to the coral/denuded skeleton interface (same as the Caribbean ones). There were none actually on the surface of the coral, or those that seem to mimic the coensoteum of Acropora as in dolt's thread.

I don't have time to read that whole thread...has anyone determined the hatch time of the eggs?

Also, there were two other flatworms on the fragments that are normal tank fauna, so there is room for confusion on them.

McHava: Thanks...I spent four hours under the dissecting scope tonight examining the tissue and no flatworms, but definitely some at the lesions and definitely doing damage.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7695218#post7695218 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EricHugo
One more thing....I found several egg masses under a lesion of recently denuded tissue on the skeleton. They were not stongly attached like the egg masses of the Montipora nudibranchs. I used a dissecting scope and some fine forceps and they just pulled right off. I fixed them in warm Bouin's solution, but since of the corals sent, there were only a few fragments with the flatwoms on them, I fixed them all - may be some more on the fragments I put in quarantine.

The lesions appeared to be like a white band type lesion with the flatworms disappearing in and out of the septa and occasionally moving right up to the coral/denuded skeleton interface (same as the Caribbean ones). There were none actually on the surface of the coral, or those that seem to mimic the coensoteum of Acropora as in dolt's thread.

I don't have time to read that whole thread...has anyone determined the hatch time of the eggs?

Hey Eric, did the lesions look like the ones in this thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=872278

We were trying to figure out what could have caused this before, so any insight would be helpful, thanks.

Back