Was curious how many people actually watch thier piggy bank

markandkristen

i sat down the other day and actuallly spent like 20-30 minutes just watching the fish swim and the corals sway.
i figured i have put so much money in this piggy bank ...why not watch. it.
just wondering if everbody watches thier tank on a weekly basis

Gimplar

Oh most definetly, with me balancing my time between school, 2 part time jobs, a girlfriend and my other friends, my tank serves as my biggest stress reliever. Instead of sitting down and eating a bag of chips infront of the tv, i just pull up a chair and watch my tank for an hour or two.

stevemc

I set up a 125 RR that was in my old house for a couple years, last year in July. I moved in with my girlfriend earlier in the year, and she had never had an aquarium. I sold off a bunch of tanks, several of them large. This 125 had a homemade stand(not by me) and a hood to match(by me). It was not the way I would build a stand-3 doors on the front. We moved all the water, rocks, sand, fish, zoas and gorgonians all in one day. It was running that night, and all critters were at home, no stress. Lynn just loved it. She bought 2 high chairs so we could sit and stare at the fish. I talked about making a 2 door opening, with no uprights-just one big opening. She suggested making one big opening, but with a almost hidden panel. I thought that would be great, and designed one. She also suggested making a bar, so we could set our coffee, drinks, wine etc on it and enjoy it that much more. I made a great bar that could fold down if really needed to. We painted it a sand finish, sandstone color. We sit at the bar in the morning, when we get home, at night, any time. Even late at night. We keep a big flashlight on the bar to look at the different things at night. I would say we sit at the aquarium at least an hour each per day. Sometimes more. We can talk and have our faces looking right in the aquarium. Most of the fish have been in for well over a year, and some longer, and they look at us sitting there. They watch us! Yes I love stareing into the tank, to see what has grown, how many new zoas popped out, new coralline growth, how much the macro in the refugium has grown, etc. Not to mention the normal upkeep stuff. We set up 2 -30 gallon tanks right next to our dinner table, so we can watch them too!

CanadianReef

Agreed, I don't even have a tv anymore. Got rid of it and cable in favor of a projector. Why waste your life watching tv on a small screen when you could take all that cable tv money and have a movie theatre in your home. Same with a reef, why pay $3 a bottle for beer when you could take that money and make something. I think that a good life is having experiences that open your eyes, not just an idiot box the whitle away the hours. Others' views respected of course.

luminary

Premium Member
I sit and watch my tanks all the time. I never turn the television on...if it weren't for my wife, I'd have gotten rid of the tv long ago. The other day I spent half an hour watching bristle worms crawl around!

sparks56

instead of tv

instead of tv

i spend most of my time looking in/ you really notice changes this way !! what a PEACEFUL feeling

markandkristen

a fellow reefer came over the day and we sat down and talked about equipement and just watched the tank. it was the most fun i have had in a while with my tank. its amazing how this hobby brings friends your way and how eager they are to help you.

oceana

In Memoriam
I set up a small seating area around my tank. if you come over or call you have a 90% chance i will be watching or messing with the tank. same goes for my wife. we love the damn thing

cwegescheide

YOU have been ignored!
When I'm home I usually spend atleast an hour or so a day sitting in front of the tank looking closely at all my corals and fiddling with my equipment.

W Ellis

Premium Member
I moved my tv into the corner and have my tank next to it so i can sit on the couch and watch it. I think i spend more time looking at the tank than the tv.

Sk8r

Staff member
RC Mod
Morning, first thing, coffee into the microwave, a little breakfast fixing, then sit down to watch the tank and sip the morning coffee. I have a home office; office crises happen. When I am ready to express myself too freely---I sit down and concentrate on the tranquilly waving tentacles for a while instead of picking up a phone and expressing my unedited opinion. It's a great business aid.
Oh, yeah, I sit and watch the tank.

glyle41

Premium Member
Watching

Watching

I spend more time watching my main reef than I do watching TV very relaxing moved my recliner right in front of if it

gatorolsen

my tanks still amaze me - there is always something new crawling around

we set our main tank up in the dining room so you can see it while relaxing on the couch in the living room and also from the dining room table

dinner guests always become hypnotized by the tank

Gatorolsen

TAMike97

I watch my tank for about an hour on average everyday. I would rather watch the tank than a lifetime movie with the girlfriend anyday. When I come home I go straight to the fish room. Its the best stress reliever. Im in the process of setting up the room as an office so I can spend more time in there. :)

angelsil

The 46 gallon is currently in my office. Since I work from home a few days a week and spend a lot of time on the computer I end up watching that tank several hours a day.

The 125 is in the living room so I don't end up watching it as much but I still make time to relax in front of it a few times a week.

poknsnok

I bought furniture designed to "optimal vegging in front of the tank specifications"... I can always count on the tank to relax me... until the electric bill comes

cschweitzer

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8072975#post8072975 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
Morning, first thing, coffee into the microwave, a little breakfast fixing, then sit down to watch the tank and sip the morning coffee. I have a home office; office crises happen. When I am ready to express myself too freely---I sit down and concentrate on the tranquilly waving tentacles for a while instead of picking up a phone and expressing my unedited opinion. It's a great business aid.
Oh, yeah, I sit and watch the tank.

Doesn't that count as a business tool(like a massage or therapy)? That should be able to be written off your taxes, right?Ahh, trying to scam the IRS...my second favorite hobby behind reefing.

By the way, I have missed more shows that I wanted to see because of my tank. I have a DVR and will start a program. In the intro commercials, I will realize I need to do something, get up and begin whatever it was. Then I will sit and watch the clowns bouncing around, or the tangs picking at every rock and even the glass, or the beautiful colors of the coral. Next thing I know, the credits and theme music are playing and I look back realizing that the show I waited all night to watch is over. Luckily, with my DVR, I can just start it over and initiate the whole process once again. I usually miss a show two or three times before I can actually sit down and watch it.

ReefArtist

In Memoriam
I've just started my 75 g reef tank- still waiting for it to cycle. I get my magnifier out and sit for at least an hour a few times a day. It is so fascinating and relaxing, I can't wait until I have larger critters running around. So, this is what I have to look forward too - this is a wonderful hobby.

ReefArtist

In Memoriam
I figure it would be a great photo for the cover of AARP magazine-10 gray hairs surounding a reef tank all with magnifiers, now that's scary!