Water Changes

Rafty

I have a 260 gallon tank with 158 gallon sump and this is connected to 422 gallon external water tanks all circulating. Presently I do a 260 gallon water change by dumping this from the tanks and replacing with fresh sea water. At the moment this is done every 4 weeks. My questions is this, if at the 4 week mark phosphates are close to 0, NO3 <0.5 and calcium/mg/KH all in health range, do I still need to do water change or can I delay until PO or NO3 start to rise above recommended values?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all seems like a pretty sweet setup.

I'd say stretch it and see if anything goes south. Seems like your current method is just replacing trace elements. My opinion is you're limited in terms of fish to the dt size of 260g so you should be able to get away with say a 50 or 100 g water change every month.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Your current change schedule seems to be working just fine. I suspect your zero readings at 4 weeks are likely a result of the routine your in. Why change it? A spike in the levels could easily start you down a path you may regret. If it ain't broke...well you know.

nice system.

My po4/no3 is never high, I do water changes to replenish trace elements, it's not all about nutrient removal

Yes but I am constantly dosing amino acids, carbs and have a calcium reactor so would this not keep up with trace elements?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes but I am constantly dosing amino acids, carbs and have a calcium reactor so would this not keep up with trace elements?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have heard that a calcium reactor will release more than just calcium and alkalinity. I have no idea if it will release trace elements in the right proportion....you willing to take that chance ??

It's difficult to say sometimes exactly what is being removed or replaced with a water change. IMO, it's too difficult to really tell exactly what is being depleted or building up in your system as not all water parameters can be tested with hobbyist grade test kits. Alk, Mag, Ca, Nitrate, Phosphate...etc may all seem spot on with whatever dosing you may do, but trace things can build up or deplete without you knowing. IMO, unless you are doing the Triton method or sending water samples out periodically for a full blown lab test to track everything, than water changes are a good method of keeping everything balanced. Although I monitor and dose for major and some minor elements, I don't at all think that my water is absolutely unchanging over time.

I did go a long time with minimal water changes, averaging maybe 5% change a month for over a year, and everything seemed okay. But I then did a few 30% changes over a few weeks and all of my coral opened more, grew faster, and got better colors. All of my testing showed no changes in any perameters I test, but the change in coral's aparent health and appearance has convinced me that something good is happening with water changes. I now do 25-30% change a month. With a system like yours, you may be okay streaching out your water changes. I'd just watch your tank for any negative effects along the way. If you did do less or minimal water changes for a while, maybe try what I did and do a few good sized water changes every week for a month or so and see if your tank changes in a good way, or no real change. That would tell you if it's having a significant impact on your system or not.

I went about a year with out a water change and only adding fresh water in to account for evaporation, I have recently moved the tank and am getting back into the hobby. I will say that my tank pre-move had 0 nitrates and phosphates. Corals were healthy and growing.

After I moved the tank and have been doing bi-weekly water changes I see a lot more color in the corals and no negative effects. Parameters ae back to zero and corals seem much happier.

Back