water evaporation rate question

Daddyrawg

does it water evap more if you have a larger tank or is it the same regardless of water volume?

im going from a 90 to a 180 and wondering if I will have to consider more rodi
water when topping off due to evap or is it the same?

does it water evap more if you have a larger tank or is it the same regardless of water volume?

im going from a 90 to a 180 and wondering if I will have to consider more rodi
water when topping off due to evap or is it the same?

More water will evaporate with the larger tank volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surface area is your issue. More surface area more evaporation. Less surface area less evaporation.

So if the tank is twice the volume but the exposed surface is the same size evaporation shouldn't change much.

If your tank is twice the volume and twice the exposed surface area you should expect twice the evaporation.

That's my understanding anyways.

Depends on the tank. I evap a gallon a day from a 50 gallon with open side vents and no glass, with 30 gallon sump exposure. I evap about the same from a 100 gallon with a glass top and same sump exposure.

Surface area is your issue. More surface area more evaporation. Less surface area less evaporation.

So if the tank is twice the volume but the exposed surface is the same size evaporation shouldn't change much.

If your tank is twice the volume and twice the exposed surface area you should expect twice the evaporation.

Spot on.

Seasons play a role too. I often see as much or more evapration in winter as in summer and it can vary a surprising amount week to week as cold or warm fronts pass by.

Air conditioning also plays a role. If you run reverse cycle air conditioners like we do then they produce very dry air, which will increase tank evaporation a little. As previously said however the biggest factor is surface area, both of the DT and also to a lesser degree the sump (as the air in the enclosed sump will stay more moist and reduce evaporation).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having a tank with/without a lid also plays a significant role in keep in evaporation/condensation. When I remove my lid i feel a short burst of humidity, so I know for sure it helps keep water in to some degree.

Thats a big factor but its not the only one. If your running a sump or worse yet a trickle filter(are these even still being used?) where running water is exposed to air, your arte of evaporation will increase significantly.

I have a 60x32x22 180 gal. by rough measurement. I have to refill my ATO once every 7 days. If that gives you a ball park idea of what you might deal with.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Back