water+hot water= problems...HELP

Metal7fold22

ok so i had to move and i brought my fish with me...well big problem happened and i lost 15 fish...well there are only 4 survivors and i put them in a 10 gallon tank with the rest of my corals too...i have a canister filter on it...somehow my protein skimmer broke and all my power heads broke too...it was just my luck i guess...but anywho..its hot over here..im in riverside CA...and since its such a small tank the water changes temperature very easily...its been at a steady 84 or 85 degrees all day everyday...the fish are fine but my corals are lookin crappy..ive been puttin ice in zip lock bags and tryin to cool it down but it barely helps..and i cant afford a 500 dollar chiller plus why would i buy a chiller for a 10 gallon tank...does anyone have any ideas to help me keep my water cooler during this crazy hot summer

Tadashi

Premium Member
Be ready to replace evap for the salinity will shoot up. The more evap the lower you can drop the temp the higher the salinity will go. You probably will need a Auto top-off system to keep up. They run about $60. I have had good experiences the Tsunami AT-1 hooked to a MJ1200. It is perfect in a sump or in an overflow which exaggerates the water drop in the tank.

How hot does your water get? I used to keep my reef tanks at 84 deg.

Metal7fold22

there are 3 air conditioners in this house but it still peaks at about 85 degrees...like everything looks alirhgt but they deffinately look like they could be better..and it seems like the 4 fish i have left are startin to get alittle more aggressive..i have a oc clown a velvet damsel a chromis and a watchman...my chromis is gettin his *** kicked lately..they never used to bother him in my other tanks when i had them together but now he is startin to get his tail fin nipped and its missin a big chunk..i dont mind losin him lol...but yea and it sucks cuz i dont wanna put too much money in tryin to keep this 10 gallon runnin cuz im movin to san marcos CA round next month and im settin up my 60 gallon tank over there but yea i got ro water on standby for the evaporation..its not evaporating that fast so thats good..but yea its ****in me off cuz its so hot and its just been buggin me...

Tadashi

Premium Member
On a 12-gal I went throught about 30-gal a week to keep the temp down using 250 watt MH. On my 180-gal I think I was going through about 60-gal a week. This was not a problem since water was cheap in MO and had my RO/DI plumbed into the sump. It dropped significantly when I installed a couple of chillers and took off the fans.

darkdruid

Can you move the tank closer to one of the AC units and turn the vent so that it blows directly on the tank?

Metal7fold22

actually since puttin a fan on it directly..it has gone down a few degrees and looks much better just cant wait to move and restart my 60 gallon so i can get them out of this small tank..and i sooo plan on gettin a chiller for my 60 gallon...i cant afford and deal with another mass fish killing again lol