water in new tank

peanuts183

I have a 75 gal. tank that is currently freshwater, but it has never had any fish in it. I put R.O. water in it when I set up. I have decided to do a fish only saltwater tank instead. Can I just mix my salt into the water that is already in the tank, or do I need to completely drain it first and refill it?

If you don't have anything at all in the tank meaning just water then I would mix the salt in the tank. That is how I did it when I started my tank up.

There is gravel in the bottom that has been there a couple of months, but I was going to remove it and put in sand.

Re: water in new tank

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11643866#post11643866 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by peanuts183
I have a 75 gal. tank that is currently freshwater, but it has never had any fish in it. I put R.O. water in it when I set up. I have decided to do a fish only saltwater tank instead. Can I just mix my salt into the water that is already in the tank, or do I need to completely drain it first and refill it?
take out the gravel, Mix in your salt THEN add the sand it will make it easier to mix without blowing sand everywhere.

FYI most people add the sand first but I've seen threads recently where people use a large funnel with a hose(1" id) that reaches to the bottom of the tank to place the sand and they say it works well. Dont drop your sand in from the top, you'll have cloudy water for a long while.

You could probably do it the way they suggested above. But if I were you, I would just siphon the water into a big garbage can next to the tank. You could mix the salt in there with a powerhead. It would make it much easier to then scoop out all of the gravel. Place your rock in it, then add the sand. After that is done, you can pour the water back in, (or siphon it back in). You can place saran wrap over the sand bed and rocks to minimize how much sand gets kicked up, or pour the water into a bowl that you keep right at water level. That will cause the water to trickle over the edge of the bowl rather than disturb the sandbed.

Back