Water Loss

wizard2

Hi
Finally have my NH at 0 :) But my Nitrite level is up Did water change of about 8ga in my 40 Will test in AM and if needed do another.

My main question is how much water should I be losing to evaporation a day in a 40 with open top I know that because of the dryness in the winter that the air is less humid so it will be more

Thanks Mike

From my 40 breeder I lose about a half gallon a day. That is with the AC running in the summer to keep the humidity down and so far this winter we haven't turned the heat on but I expect it to go up a little once we do that.

Hi
Finally have my NH at 0 :) But my Nitrite level is up Did water change of about 8ga in my 40 Will test in AM and if needed do another.

My main question is how much water should I be losing to evaporation a day in a 40 with open top I know that because of the dryness in the winter that the air is less humid so it will be more

Thanks Mike
Why not let the nitrite become nitrate like it's supposed to? You are cycling no?

Evaporation will be different for everybody and as noted will vary through the seasons. I go anywhere from a litre a day to a gallon a day throughout the year on my 50 frag tank in a cool basement.

Why make a water change during the cycle?
It interrupts Mother Nature.
Remember the saying-"Don't fool with Mother Nature".

Can't get nitrite level to balance out. I know I maybe shouldn't have done this but tried adding some starter to get the bacteria up. The day after everything was brown. Hoped that this would get nitrite down. Still to high and I don't want to put in my cleaning crew for fear they will die. I even did a 50% water change and added more starter. That also may have been mistake.

Can't get nitrite level to balance out. I know I maybe shouldn't have done this but tried adding some starter to get the bacteria up. The day after everything was brown. Hoped that this would get nitrite down. Still to high and I don't want to put in my cleaning crew for fear they will die. I even did a 50% water change and added more starter. That also may have been mistake.
Ah, actually you are correct - water change is the answer. Excessive nitrite can stall the cycle because it will inhibit the bacteria. I think that's where you are. Try to get nitrite down near 5ppm and things should get going again. Here's a dr Tim link that might help:

Cycle Troubleshooting - 13 things you need to consider. | DrTim's Aquatics

I would go through about 5 gallons every week to week and a half on my 55 gallon tank.
Why not let the nitrite become nitrate like it's supposed to? You are cycling no?

Evaporation will be different for everybody and as noted will vary through the seasons. I go anywhere from a litre a day to a gallon a day throughout the year on my 50 frag tank in a cool basement.

Do you have a small rock in the DT that has algae on it you could move to the Q tank?

Back