Water movement in Tank

Nammy

What are you guy's using for pump(s) in your display tank for water movement?
I'll be setting up my tank again after a 2 year layoff.
I use to have maxi jet and I don't know if I should continue using it or get something new...

ecotech mp40wes on my 90 gallon tank.... soon to get a second one but its not necessary. check out echotech's pumps; they are one of a kind. ive never seen pumps do what these can. i highly recommend ecotech pumps over any other pump out there. if you cant bite the bullet on the prices my second recommendation would be the tunze powerheads.

Depends on what type of flow you want. Vortechs will give you nice broad flow. Tunze is popular and give you a nice stream. Decide on what you are going to keep for live stock first then decide on your pump.

I have two Koralia Evo 1050s connected to a ReefAngel controller, they are on separate walls of the tank, and I have them alternate 30 seconds on and 30 seconds off...very happy with this set up...

image_style2.aspx

Thanks guy's, I have a few months to make my decision. For now all my rocks are curing in a large tub.

Do you think and mp40 would be ok in a 54 corner (almost all sps with large colonies)? I am looking for more flow than the 4 koralias i have and they take up too much space as well. I have some dead areas as well and I definitey want an mp10 or mp40. the question is which one

Do you think and mp40 would be ok in a 54 corner (almost all sps with large colonies)? I am looking for more flow than the 4 koralias i have and they take up too much space as well. I have some dead areas as well and I definitey want an mp10 or mp40. the question is which one

mp40 for sure. i think mp10 are best for nano tanks. if you set the mp40 to a low setting like half or lower you will be fine. my mp40 is on a 90 gallon system and i have it set at 75 to 80 percent. im so glad i went with ecotech pumps. i also heard that their coral glue is awesome as well. i will def get the big bottle of that... still waitting on seeing the results of their new leds though. if legit im getting since they talk to the pumps.

I use 2 Tunze 6105s, great flow and dead silent. The newer ones are coming with 2 different outputs, a narrower one and a wider one.

mp40 for sure. i think mp10 are best for nano tanks. if you set the mp40 to a low setting like half or lower you will be fine. my mp40 is on a 90 gallon system and i have it set at 75 to 80 percent. im so glad i went with ecotech pumps. i also heard that their coral glue is awesome as well. i will def get the big bottle of that... still waitting on seeing the results of their new leds though. if legit im getting since they talk to the pumps.

cool. I will definetely go with the mp40. I cant wait to get rid of those koralias. Their new leds do look good, like you said, time will tell

Nammy,

I agree with everyone and the pump recommendations, but it really depends upon what size your tank is as well. I don't think we can recommend correctly or based upon experiences, opinions, or much else, until we know the size of tank you have. You sure dont want to get too big of a pump to just blow your sand all over the place.

Thanks, Steve

Nammy,

I agree with everyone and the pump recommendations, but it really depends upon what size your tank is as well. I don't think we can recommend correctly or based upon experiences, opinions, or much else, until we know the size of tank you have. You sure dont want to get too big of a pump to just blow your sand all over the place.

Thanks, Steve

You're right Steve. But the reason I didn't give my tank size is because I have many years of experience in reef keeping and know what kind of flow I need.
So in reality, I wanted to know what people are using and get an idea what's new out there. Once I decide which type I plan to go with, I'll make my decision on size by reading the recommendations and before I go out and get one+ (in particular) expensive type, I'll do a little more homework.
Good point though, someone less experience may use the info to get their power head without further knowledge.

Back