Water parameters

Capt. Nemo

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie and I just added LR to my tank yesterday. I tested my water today for the first time with my new Salifert test kits. The following are my water parameters:

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 1
Nitrates 50
Phosphates 0
Salinity 1.028
Temp. 82

Do these numbers look about where they should be 24 hours after adding LR? I'm not sure how to interpret these readings and what they signify as relating to my cycle. I think I have to bring my salinity down to between 1.026 - 1.027 and reduce my temp to around 80. This is a FOWLR set up. Any feedback and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Gary

Was the LR cured before you put it in? I would personally wait and continue to test before you add any livestock. Those numbers dont look to bad now...but see what happens over the course of a week.

Yes, it was cured Marshall Island. I want to be sure I understand how the nitrogen cycle works. ammonia - nitrites - nitrates. Is this right? If so, am I towards the end of the cycle since my ammonia is zero, and my nitrates are zero? Am I missing something? Thanks!

How long has the tank been running? If its only been a day, I would wait. You will probably see the ammonia rise a little, then the No2, follewed by No3. Even cured LR wont keep a tank from cycling, just let it happen.

If the lr was shipped then it is not cured anytime you ship LR there is die off and it has to be recured!

You said the nitrates were 50. The nitrite converts to nitrate, so you're not done until there's no nitrite. It could take a few weeks.

I put cheato in my tank and it helped with the nitrate. Just put a ball in there and let it blow around.

The nitrate may not be that high. Nitrite will give false high readings in some nitrate kits.

I think I have to bring my salinity down to between 1.026 - 1.027 and reduce my temp to around 80.

That sounds good. I'd keep track of ammonia for another week to 10 days, and if you see none, then it may be time to start slowly adding some creatures. Start with hardy ones.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. Randy, did you mean to say that nitrate will give false high readings in some nitrate kits? I am using Salifert test kits. This was the first time I've used them so maybe I didnt read the color chart correctly. Are Salifert test kits accurate and in particular, the nitrate kit? I will be testing my water parameters today to see how things are progressing. Thanks again.

No, I meant that nitrite will give false high readings in nitrate testing.
Some kits (like Salifert) convert a portion of the nitrate into nitrite for testing, so a little nitrite already present shows up as a lot of nitrate.

Back