Water test.. Is the tank safe?

kuch123

Ok, so i decided to fill the 180g tank to test for leaks, bowing, etc. before i spend hours with Novus.. Tank background (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2078443)

tt1.jpg

tt10.jpg

Filled to the top

tt6.jpg

In next three shots, i found this on the top front seam.. can't say for sure if it was there before the fillup because i think the light i'm using here may have helped

tt2.jpg

tt3.jpg

tt5.jpg

Bowing doesn't look bad for 3/8in acrylic.. about 1/2in front, only a bit in the center on the back, probably due to the overflow boxes adding extra support

tt4.jpg

tt8.jpg

tt9.jpg

So, my questions: does anyone see anything that could be a major problem here or is everything i'm seeing normal for what i have? i read all the pluses about acrylic being stronger than glass but then i read about all these seam breaks, so im somewhat concerned because i obviously don't want 180g on my floor, even though there's a drain near by.. this will be mounted behind a wall so the tank will be in an unfinished side of the basement.. does it make sense to frame the tank in to the wall.. in other words build a snug frame of 2x4s around the back and sides of the tank to give extra support and have a good 1in lip around the front locked in against the wall nice and tight if that makes any sense :) thanks for any advice..

Ron
Cincinnati

Back