Water Water Everywhere!!!

jetman5443

About 7 gallons of water is on the floor. Not much compared to most peoples standards :)
It wasn't salt water, just top off water.
Its all over the carpet, and it seems like the pad underneath the carpet has sucked up most of it.
Right now we are hand (foot) drying with towels and well....feet.
Is there anything else we need to do to minimize damage, due to a rental situation.
One thought was to rent one of those industrial carpet cleaners from Home Depot.
Ideas??? Please!!!
Thanks,
-Grant

Jamie Riley

water, water everywhere

water, water everywhere

It's happened to me a couple of times. You need to get the water up as soon as possible(obviously).
1- Us a shampooer to get the water out of the carpet.
2- pull the carpet up, along with the padding. You are correct on the fan from Home depot. You should be able to rent one from them or some other rental place. Depending on how your room is situated, try to put the fan so it blows underneath to carpet AND pad. You should see a ripple effect in the carpet as the air is blowing. The should help take the moisture out. Any other questions, let me know. It's never fun.

sir_dudeguy

Cant help you with how to clean it up since its never happened to me before, but what went wrong w/your ATO? Just wondering cuz i'm about to get that same one :lol:

clintrandall

You'll never get all that moisture out unless you pull the carpet back and fan it, like Jamie said. Otherwise, you'll end up with musty smelling carpet and possible mold.

That stinks! My worst feelings in the hobby have been the few floods I've had. You feel like a doctor in the ER.

Alto

Pulling the carpet back might be a little extreme esp. if you dont feel confident that you can put the carpet back exactly the way it was before you pulled it up.

To be honest I think the humidity is low enough here that you wont have to worry about it molding as long as you can get the bulk of the water out of the carpet. Moving the tank to allow that area to dry more thoroughly would be a good idea. Use a wet/dry vac to get as much as you can then set up a box fan blowing over that area.

When I very first started working at a LFS the owners sent me out to set up a 280 gallon system. I had never set one up before that and when I installed the return line I forgot to put a siphon break and in addition installed it too low in the water. Needless to say probably 45 gallons ended up siphoning out when the owners turned the system off for the night to save electricity...:rolleyes: The owners of the LFS simply paid to have the carpets professionally cleaned and they set out fans for several days and there was no long term damage to the carpet. Thats kind of an embarrassing story I don't like to tell people but I thought it might make you feel better lol.

azhunter

I'm a carpet cleaner and could have come and extracted the water for you...but i dont service prescott!!! if you can find a carpet cleaning supply store up you'll want to get a product called "Milgo". it comes in one gallon jugs and you can spray it on the pad and carpet once its dry and it'll kill mold and mildew spors. you can reapply a few times afterwards. if you get it dry soon and don't leave it sitting you shouldnt have an issue with mold anyway but just in case!
mike
Medley Carpet Care

pupfish

Actually the "towel and foot stomp" method will get a lot of moisture out, but w/7 gallons - if it was me I'd borrow a wet/dry vac and get up what you can, then put down a bunch of towels and just sit something heavy on it (got extra cinder blocks?), toss towels in dryer as they get soaked, repeat. When the towels are getting merely damp then bust out the "foot stomp". Remember to choose appropriate tunes, and libations (yeah, I know - its early).

Whatever you do, DON'T pull the carpet back, unless you want to move all your furniture and pay someone to stretch and retack it. You're renting - I'd go with what azhunter recommended and just get the anti-spore stuff.

I've been there on both counts,
Meredith

bajabum

Add salt to stop mold, get dry with fans and carpet cleaner/wet dry vacuum/towels. Carpet clean the salt out later.

Rkthepainter

Premium Member
had the same problem wet dry vaced, lifted the carpet, nothing helped, except when i pulled the rug out, after a while the room stunk like mildew.

hermanx7

If it helps at all mold or mildew wont start growing until atleast the 48 hour mark of water standing or a moist area. That makes if very important to have it dry within the 2 day mark. These are all great suggestions. I would agree that pulling the carpet back and putting a carpet blower down is ideal.

Thomas

clintrandall

I don't really think you'll get 7 gallons out just by sucking it out of the carpet. The pad is likely soaked and a cleaner won't pull all of the water out of the pad.

It would be a pain to hire someone to restretch, but we had a room where the carpet got really wet and we could never get the musty smell out, even after shampooing twice. I suppose its just a call you have to make! ;o)

azhunter

clint, next time you have the carpets cleaned ask that "milgo" be sprayed in the area that you had the spill. also, next time you have a large spill call a carpet cleaner immediately and ask if he has a "water claw", amazing device that will pull water out of a pad without pulling up carpet. if you flood the entire house youll have problems, but if you have an certain area the claw will work wonders. http://www.waterclaw.com/

jetman5443

Well, The pad under the carpet is pretty thin. We have had three big fans on it since it happned, even through the night(they were loud) It's, i think, dry now. We will see how it goes, and get the carpets proffesionally cleaned in a few weeks, by AZhunter(mike) which is an awesome guy. Very knowledgable. the lease is up in 2 months anyways ;) LOL