Wave Box or MP 60?

MP60, far more flow patterns less of an eye sore, can make waves or just random flow, quiet compared to wave box( lapping in overflow box). mp60 will do the same but totally adjustable.

i always admired the idea behind wave boxes but never wanted to be the person who spends
the money on one only to realize i wish i would have bought vortech... thus i own vortech.

MP60!!! More flow, can be position differently, and random changes of movement that a wavebox cannot do. Even with a wavebox you may end up adding a couple of powerheads for additional movement.

My vote and on my 210 tank, two MP40' w's synced with my Apex. Does a great job and I have redundancy. One MP40 won't do the whole job but it's better than nothing if the other one fails for some reason. Also makes it easier to remove one at a time to clean.

Yes the more I read I'M thinking that two MP40's maybe the way to go. This helps because I can break up the expense and get one now and add the other latter, as you mentioned have redundancy, and it will look like my tank is wearing head phones!

Still open to hearing any wave box evangelists out there!

Yes the more I read I'M thinking that two MP40's maybe the way to go. This helps because I can break up the expense and get one now and add the other latter, as you mentioned have redundancy, and it will look like my tank is wearing head phones!

Still open to hearing any wave box evangelists out there!

I actually put them both on the same side of the tank, one above the other. Just tested it because I had to move my other one back to my 90. I am in the middle of upgrading a 90 to a new 210. Just starting to stock now. I felt the action was more than adequate on the same side and I have an aesthetic problem where putting one on the other side of the tank will cause visual issues. I like to call my setup the new MP80

keep in mind that in order to use the ES mode, you'll need at least 3 units.. (two facing each other on the sides and one on the rear)

For what it's worth:

I've got both (Tunze on a reef tank, vortechs on a fish only setup) and the Tunze powerheads & wavebox are silent, (and I don't mean, really quiet, I mean that you can only tell they're cycling if you put your ear to the exterior magnet)... and the vortech's are NOT.. you can definitely hear them when they're in nutrient transport or wave mode.. ...actually, you can hear them any time their speed is oscillating..

anyone who tells you the vortech's are silent is painting a rosy picture..

but they're both excellent flow systems..
(with the tunze multicontroller 7096, you can do any modes that two vortechs can do)

MP60 and MP40 for a 7 footer. 2 MP40's will not be enough. I had 2 on my 210G when I first upgraded. I sold them for 2 6205's and a 6212 Wavebox. All this added a lot of clutter in the tank and was somewhat effective. I felt the Tunzes were too linear for my liking and the wavebox while effective, was just too distracting. I have a 60 now with a 6205 on the other side. Its only been a few hours with the 60 but its pulling uneaten pellets and debris from the rock work that the wavebox and 6205 didn't. Depending on longevity, I wll end up selling the othe Tunze for a 40, or get adventurous and another 60 throttled way back

Back