Wavebox

pledosophy

Can someone explain to me how a wavebox works, and what I would need to do to build my own?

It looks from the outside it's just a pump on a timer. I must be missing something because the one I would buy is $560. I just don't get it. I'm going to be bummed if I pay that much and it is something I could have easily made (like what happened when I got my HOB refugium)

Links are great. I just can't find the plans.

Thanks a lot. I do appreciate it.

I have a lot of spare parts, humor me. :D

I'd just love to see a design for one. I think I figured it out just by looking at a few online pics, but want to be sure.

Basically if you ever ( even as a kid) was in a bath tub and would move back and forth the bath water would rock too. In a wavebox the pump pushes the water out and the water will rock back into the box, eventually creating a rocking motion that simulates the wave action in the ocean, actually isn't too expensive/hard to make the only tricky thing is getting a timer system that can turn on/off every 1/4-1/2 seconds. I think in general it is an amazing step towards us creating a natural setting in our tanks.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=W1duSSdjRb4

That is a great video of a DIY, made by a member of RC, you can find his build thread in the DIY forum.

the main expense is in the DC pump that the wave boxes use.that way your always sure which direction the pump turns when it comes on. Other wise it's just a pump in a box. Any thing that displaces water in a rhythmic way will accomplish this feat (air, more water, solid object)

Back