ways to drip Limewater

usmc121581

Where am I?
Premium Member
Usually I have dosed my limewater using an old Kent salt container. I have used a a piece that you turned a knob you get the desire drip(cant remember) works but drip will slow to a stop. So I bought and IV line, which seems to work but drips slower. I was thinking about getting Aqua Lifter Dosing Pump and pinching off the airline to a more desired drip for limewater. Has anyone restricted the flow of the aqua lifter and did it work.

Never restricted the flow on Toms pump but it would be easier to be accurate by putting it on a cycle timer to run for a minute or so periodically?

Don't know if you have a controller but I used a peristaltic pump. The apex would let run a few seconds every few minutes.

I agree with the suggestion of getting a good dosing/peristaltic pump. It's too easy to nuke a tank with a kalk overdose, and at the same time if it's your primary supplement then pretty important that the tank get it's dose consistently.

A dosing pump and a simple digital timer makes for a very consistent, reliable and safe dosing system for kalk.

I used one of these (its called a drip set, and is used by veterinarians) pushed by an aqualifter with fine results:
DF390F08-6F18-4198-8072-0DACDD10AA34-1156-00000263AB1BDE02.jpg

Here's what the tank looked like at about 18 mo:
ftsleftfront.jpg

I used it at about a 1ml drip per 2 sec 24-7. I would make adjustments to the evaporation rate manually, but the steady drip set kept it close. It would clog from time to time, if I couldn't blow it free a vinegar treatment was needed. Having the bucket higher so gravity could help keep the flow going was better than having my reservoir bucket on the floor.

I continue to use the same aqualifter (5+ years) pushing limewater 24/7 from a still reservoir, but now I use a standard float valve as a regulator and ATO; this is a much better meathod.

Your tank looks great and obviously what you are doing is working :)

That said, what happens when the airline blows off of the aqualifter due to the back pressure? Maybe not a tank killer, but definately a mess :(

What this guy did is hook up valves to the output of the Toms. He also uses check valves to avoid back syphoning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVAyUlcD9EE

What I do since my dosing need is exactly half of what the Toms would give me in 1 minute of operation is I dilute the 2 part stuff in exactly double the amount of water. That way I don't have to choke them. I dose one minute of Alk at 9pm and 1 minute of Ca at 9am. It works for me so far.

Back