We went out to eat 2 days ago

So I'm guessing the generator is for the whole house. If not, you have an emergancy panel after the transfer switch. Go to the panel and mark the breakers that control the affected systems. This "may" give enough info to rule out phase problems.

Yes, the Generac is for the whole house.

CC4DB56A-7323-4E3E-9236-6FAE33E13047.jpeg

1 more light coming tomorrow
All the stuff here wasn’t affected
EB7C2D2B-FDDC-4EC5-B742-1DCC5274AAB7.jpeg

Something like this
should solve your problem.
I'd look for one that has a 15 minute delay. This will keep the bulbs and ballasts from trying to start when they are hot.
I never thought about multiple restart attempts.
The lights I took down are laying on the floor here and we were talking about making an area to winter plants with them. I am thinking 400 watt grow bulbs which are plentiful on the net as well as cheap ballasts for them. I saved your link and have purchased from SupplyHouse before.

My wife still uses an old cap and coil ballast over her orchid garden.
lol, still remember reading Sanjay’s article in one of the now defunct mags and following his instructions to build my MH ballast. I used and old metal file card box as the enclosure😂

I saw a kit for a 400w for $15 somewhere. The 250 and 400 watts stuff is going away on the grower sights as well it seems.

What bean said is actually true and as an electrician I have seen that many times. It's usually a neutral problem but the weird part is it doesn't normally fix itself. Thats the hard part but it does happen.

If a neutral fails, especially on an older house it will force 220 volts through your appliances burning them out while turning off other appliances. All sorts of strange things will happen.

If your TV was on, that also may have burned out. :confused:

What bean said is actually true and as an electrician I have seen that many times. It's usually a neutral problem but the weird part is it doesn't normally fix itself. Thats the hard part but it does happen.

If a neutral fails, especially on an older house it will force 220 volts through your appliances burning them out while turning off other appliances. All sorts of strange things will happen.

If your TV was on, that also may have burned out. :confused:
All that stuff was checked when they put in the generator as well as a new ground rod for the transfer switch. Nothing was isolated though because the generator never started up so no transfers. The power could have gone off and on several times in a short period though.

It's basically just a safety. You can use a 10 buck part to protect a couple hundred dollar part. You don't need it, but you may want it.

Back