Weights of Calcium Chloride and Soda Ash

Fish Keeper82

In an effort to keep dosing stable from batch to batch I want to start weighing the Calcium chloride and Soda Ash as opposed to the cup measurements, I ordered 1 bag of each of BRS pre proportioned bags of Calcium Chloride and Soda Ash to see how much they to make a gallon of solution.

The Calcium Chloride weight of the bag was 399g.
The Soda Ash weight was 387g of the bag.
Are these weights right for recipe #1?

It should be about 500 grams for the calcium chloride, if it's dihydrate, and 475 grams for the sodium carbonate.

Thanks,

I just mixed up a new gallon with the weights for each you said. I'm hoping this will keep the additions more steady as far as dosing same parts of Calcium and Soda Ash solution.

At the moment my Calcium is steady from day to day but my Alkalinity is still dropping daily about .25 dkH or so when dosing 52 mils of each part. So every 3 days I add one additional dose enough to being it back to my 9 dkH target. Regardless, now that I'm using a weight as opposed to just cup measurements I should be able to duplicate dosing from batch to batch.

Okay, that sounds like a close match. There's bound to be some error in mixing, and the consumption rates can vary a bit from tank to tank, so I think you have the dosing tuned well.

It should be about 500 grams for the calcium chloride, if it's dihydrate, and 475 grams for the sodium carbonate.
The dosing I refer to in post #3 is current dosing using measuring cups not weights.

After doing some research and coming across a similar thread, looks like it's 375 g not 475g of soda to make one gallon of solution.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2416434

I'm guessing the easiest way to get my gallons right now that I've mixed one gallon with 475g of soda ash( that i have not used yet) is to mix another separate gallon with 275g then mix those 2 gallon together to make 2 gallons of total solution that has 750g in it. That sound right?

Last edited:
Back