well I decided to try zeo...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14149369#post14149369 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by customcolor
just being able to controle what you put in and take everything else out would be nice for a frag system set up for coral planed to be at swaps then it would be cheeper..thats forshure and last forever too

In a frag only tank you would only need to use a small fraction of the zeolites and supplements since there is essentially no bioload. It could cause more problems than benefits as the zeolites are so agressive at stripping nutrients it may cause some tissue necrosis. Never heard of anyone just using zeo on a frag only tank. Zeo is more of a long and deliberate process of nutrient management and may not work well for just for hooking up to systems that are put up and taken down in a short period- like at frag swaps. That would be a good question for you to post on the zeo forum to see if anyone uses zeo or it's components in that fashion.

Jeremy

i didnt mean for a frag tank at a swap.....i ment for a frag tank at home with frags in it that are ment to go to swaps.

sorry if i am confusing you

I ran it for several months a couple years ago on a 300g semi-commercial frag system. As has been mentioned, overall bioload in the system I didn't consider high. I was running a BK 300 on the system and felt that it was over skimming the system even without added nutrient reduction products.

SteveU

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14148626#post14148626 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jlinzmaier
Eskymick.

Do you have any dramatic color transformations or growth shots to show off (I'm sure you do)??

Jeremy

I've always had reasonably good color (even before employing ZEO). My main purpose for my switch to ZEO was to rid myself of all of the peripheral devices I employed to reach a ULN level in my SPS reef. Since starting ZEO, I've rid myself of the GFO reactor, an external denitrator, and the chaeto fuge.

After the initial setback in coral colors (they became a little bit "dingy" in shade), which I expected, my corals have returned to their original tones. I do find that I'm able to keep my parameters in better alignment, and as a result my growth rate seems to be much better than what it has historically been.

My ZEO system is only 3 months old and has not yet reached full maturity. Water clarity is excellent, and I'm at the point where I am beginning to add additional beneficial nutrients (ZEO additives) to the reef.

I've been having digital camera problems as of late, or I would post some pictures with this post. Unfortunately, my camera memory card became corrupted, and it's replacement is no better. Maybe tonight.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14161528#post14161528 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eskymick
I've been having digital camera problems as of late, or I would post some pictures with this post. Unfortunately, my camera memory card became corrupted, and it's replacement is no better. Maybe tonight.

Go into the camera's set up menus, and find the option to format the card. That may resolve the problem.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14163125#post14163125 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
Go into the camera's set up menus, and find the option to format the card. That may resolve the problem.

Thanks Marc ...

Here's the story:

After my original CF card failed, I went and got a new card yesterday. I formatted it with the camera .. and took a number of pics of my reef. I reviewed the pictures in the camera LCD screen. All looked great. I took out the card and put it in my USB card reader and hooked it up to my PC. Windows recognized the root directory of the card but I could get no further (notice of corruption). I put the card back into the camera and I could still review the photos.

Thinking I had a bad card reader, I took the card to work and tried it with several devices. All indicated corrupt data.

I have three more cards to try tonight. We'll see what happens.

i have a 4gig card that no cammera will read but all the computers and card readers read it. i even formated it with a brand new camera! makes me wonder sometimes.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14163087#post14163087 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by David - Miami
Is it safe with Clams as well?

Not just safe, but extremely beneficial for all reef inhabitants.

A specific componenent of the zeo regiemen called sponge power is specifically beneficial to the health of clams, sponges, and tunicates.

Jeremy

jlinzmaier,

How long have you been running zeo? Also, do you have any current pictures of your tank you could post? A before and after would be cool.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14215047#post14215047 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ZoaGuy
jlinzmaier,

How long have you been running zeo? Also, do you have any current pictures of your tank you could post? A before and after would be cool.

I've been running zeo since June of 08. Take a look at this thread for some before and after pics. I haven't posted any pics recently but the growth has been outstanding and the formosa and tort have both doubled in size in the last month and a half. They are now nice large colonies with awesome polyp ext and coloration.

I'll update that thread with some more pics in the next week or so.

Jeremy

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14215198#post14215198 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by carman9941
I have some pictures , just click on the little red house

How long have you been running zeo and what supplements do you dose??

Jeremy

Since june of 08, for 6 months I only used the basic 4, Jan 6 I started to use
1.Coral Snow at 5ml every other day
2.B-Bal 2.5ml everyday
3.Pohls X-TRA 2.5 ml everyday
4.Spong Power 4 drops daily
5. Coral Vit 2 drops daily

Basic 4
1 ltr zeolith
4 drops bac 2x weekly
2 drops start2 2x daily
4 drops food7 2x weekly

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14217655#post14217655 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by craftedpacket
Is it recommended to go bare bottom with this system?

You can run BB (my tank currently is), but I think you get better results with a shallow sand bed (more area for the bacteria to colonize on). Zeo experts discourage the use of deep sand beds as it may trap nutrients and/or eventaully release toxins like sulfur.

Jeremy

Hi guys,

Hope you don't mind me tagging along... I have been contemplating going Zeo for some time now and have been perusing various Zeo threads here on RC.

I have a question though about the DSB issue. What would the protocol/technique be for removing enough of your DSB to make it a SSB? My reef tank of 10 years crashed in October or so last year and when it did as part of my start over I removed ALL of my last sand bed (and plenum, I was running a Jauberj) and replaced it with about 3 - 4 inches of a "new" sand bed. I really regret having added so much sand and now that I'm considering going Zeo, even more so...

I'd like to bring it down to about 1-2 inches but don't want to "upset" anything and wonder if anyone has any experience in this arena?

I appreciate any help,

Thanks!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14219217#post14219217 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dave's Reef
Hi guys,

Hope you don't mind me tagging along... I have been contemplating going Zeo for some time now and have been perusing various Zeo threads here on RC.

I have a question though about the DSB issue. What would the protocol/technique be for removing enough of your DSB to make it a SSB? My reef tank of 10 years crashed in October or so last year and when it did as part of my start over I removed ALL of my last sand bed (and plenum, I was running a Jauberj) and replaced it with about 3 - 4 inches of a "new" sand bed. I really regret having added so much sand and now that I'm considering going Zeo, even more so...

I'd like to bring it down to about 1-2 inches but don't want to "upset" anything and wonder if anyone has any experience in this arena?

I appreciate any help,

Thanks!

No worries. It's a simple process. I went from having a deep sand bed filled with all kinds of waste and detritus, to a bare bottom in a few weeks. (going to BB was an attempt at better management of nutrients - prior to zeo. I hate the look and will never have a BB tank again!!).

Simply siphon a bit of sand out with each water change. Do your best not to stir up much more than what your actually taking out. Not sure how big your tank is, but in my 180 I removed two to three gallons (of pure sand) twice a week. When removing it, I'd only use the sipon method as this will suck up all the waste with it. If you try to scoop it out you just stir things up too much. Once you get to the desired depth I'd spend a few weeks siphoning the detritus from the remaining sand and once it seems relatively clean, the zeo process and the microfauna will keep it clean (I'd also consider a good CUC that will stir the sand bed constantly). Start in one area and work in small sections as you remove the sand over a couple weeks. If you stir up a large amount of sand at once you would risk a release of large amount of built up toxins (like hydrogen sulfide) which are created in an anoxic/anaerobic environment.

Jeremy

Cool,

This shouldn't be too difficult a task for me at all. My tank measure only 36"x16" at the base (only a 60 gallon) so no big deal. I should have it down in no time!

Thanks very much...

Simply siphon a bit of sand out with each water change. Do your best not to stir up much more than what your actually taking out. Not sure how big your tank is, but in my 180 I removed two to three gallons (of pure sand) twice a week. When removing it, I'd only use the sipon method as this will suck up all the waste with it. If you try to scoop it out you just stir things up too much. Once you get to the desired depth I'd spend a few weeks siphoning the detritus from the remaining sand and once it seems relatively clean, the zeo process and the microfauna will keep it clean (I'd also consider a good CUC that will stir the sand bed constantly). Start in one area and work in small sections as you remove the sand over a couple weeks. If you stir up a large amount of sand at once you would risk a release of large amount of built up toxins (like hydrogen sulfide) which are created in an anoxic/anaerobic environment.

Jeremy [/B][/QUOTE]

Back