West coast vs East coast reefer

ycnibrc

STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF
Well nobody tank crash or any new build to talk about so I'm just going to throw this out there for discussion.

West coast vs East coast reefer. Please this is mainly for discussion not saying who's better than who so keep it civil.
1) West coast reefer are more successful keeping their tank.
Ok I check multiple forum and most of the trouble or tank crash thread are not from the West coast. This could be because we have an excellent reef club aka Scmas :) which provide excellent info to help beginner reefer to start on the right track.
2) Corals price is much cheaper in the west coast. Due to a lot of excellent reefer which can produce frags to sell the prices are much lower in the west coast example I couldn't give away free bubble gum digita while East coast vendor still sell for 50$.
3) East coast have much better lfs than west coast. Well it's a tough business here in the west. Nobody buy because we give free stuff away too much lol.

Ok now please jump in and make this an interesting thread to read.

I think we're lucky in southern California because of the weather. I know I generally don't have to worry about power failures or extreme weather.

I think a lot of tank crashes I see on the east coast side is from power failures.

Also I would think that higher humidity in summer would make it more difficult to cool with just fans. Then extreme cold weather would require heaters to run more often possibly leading to more wear and tear on the heaters.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I think we're lucky in southern California because of the weather. I know I generally don't have to worry about power failures or extreme weather.

I think a lot of tank crashes I see on the east coast side is from power failures.

Also I would think that higher humidity in summer would make it more difficult to cool with just fans. Then extreme cold weather would require heaters to run more often possibly leading to more wear and tear on the heaters.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Good point

My take on the east coast is, that when it is summer a lot of east coaster go to the lake. So they put there tanks on the back burner and enjoy them in the winter. The west coast we only have two season's SUMMER and summer.

Why do you think WWC and TSA thrive and expanding in the east coast while RRUSA n TGC are closing in the west. Dont tell me the east coast reefer are richer....

When you reference "west coast" I think things are a lot different up here in NorCal than in SoCal? Up here corals seem very expensive. I was so frustrated with the high prices that my son had to pay to get "pretty" corals that we have started to flood the area with cheap frags.
Cheers! Mark

When you reference "west coast" I think things are a lot different up here in NorCal than in SoCal? Up here corals seem very expensive. I was so frustrated with the high prices that my son had to pay to get "pretty" corals that we have started to flood the area with cheap frags.
Cheers! Mark

Good point socal are spoiled with cheap Coral prices may be that's why lfs are harder to survive.

East Coast is all about 20K and beyond so the bluer the lights the better it looks. I think many here still do 14K here.
The further you go east the more expensive corals are. Nice stores everywhere. unfortunately in the general So Cal area their are not that many. Orlando is over the top.

East Coast is all about 20K and beyond so the bluer the lights the better it looks. I think many here still do 14K here.
The further you go east the more expensive corals are. Nice stores everywhere. unfortunately in the general So Cal area their are not that many. Orlando is over the top.

I remember in the 90 socal lfs are booming and I believe now we have even more reefer. I remember going to Scmas meeting in the 90 the room were never running out of space. Now if u don't show up before 7pm then no place to sit. Much more reefer now but the ambiance and the enthusiastic are lacking. This forum use to be rocking. I'm so looking for to see who win tank of the month and it's a privilege to win. Now not just this forum most forum are dying just like the LFS in socal.

I remember in the 90 socal lfs are booming and I believe now we have even more reefer. I remember going to Scmas meeting in the 90 the room were never running out of space. Now if u don't show up before 7pm then no place to sit. Much more reefer now but the ambiance and the enthusiastic are lacking. This forum use to be rocking. I'm so looking for to see who win tank of the month and it's a privilege to win. Now not just this forum most forum are dying just like the LFS in socal.

Agreed. TOTM was huge and many strived to have their tanks hosted for that. It was one of the better things about this site. I feel people have shifted to Facebook groups. It a bummer because all of the useful information is much harder to find in a Facebook group. People use to be very generous with their frags back in the day. Now for many it is a source of additional income.

Regarding East vs West. The West is wining the MACNA events if the promoters keep planning these in hurricane season.

I'm going to be the odd guy here and take a positive stance on the subject. I think the reason why prices are low is because of two main factors. Like you Anthony, I think there are some really generous hobbyist who are farming the crap out of corals on the west coast and practically giving them away. I also think it has to do with the many close circles on the west coast, where everyone is hooking each other up with high end corals. Add them together, and you get a bunch of spoil brats expecting high end corals to cost 30 dollars.

Yah... I buy expensive coral and sell them for cheap because that's fun (and FUNNY) to me. lol

I am from Brazil and when I used to live there we had a whatsapp groups from our city and all the members used to give corals to each other for free... every time somebody had a crash or something , all the groups members was supporting with corals and being like that, everybody was always happy..

I use to give stuff for free a lot and I dont care about make money cause for me this is my hobby! I dont have much stuff now in my tank cause I think prices in US are really expensive for frags even here in california !

I'm going to be the odd guy here and take a positive stance on the subject. I think the reason why prices are low is because of two main factors. Like you Anthony, I think there are some really generous hobbyist who are farming the crap out of corals on the west coast and practically giving them away. I also think it has to do with the many close circles on the west coast, where everyone is hooking each other up with high end corals. Add them together, and you get a bunch of spoil brats expecting high end corals to cost 30 dollars.

Yah... I buy expensive coral and sell them for cheap because that's fun (and FUNNY) to me. lol

I don't mind about the cheap prize of corals. What I care about is the decline of lfs and the forum. Reefing nowadays are much more popular now and stronger than before however lfs are slowly disappeared. All the thread posting on the forum are mostly sell thread. No one discuss about reefing or related subject to reef. May be the social media is easier to post. I went to Tong in fv and he said they sell more designer beta than Sps,lps combine. If lfs don't sell which mean they will not bring stuffs in. And most of the time when you feel bore you will neglect and that will lead to lazy then eventually tank crash.

1) West coast reefer are more successful keeping their tank.
Ok I check multiple forum and most of the trouble or tank crash thread are not from the West coast. This could be because we have an excellent reef club aka Scmas :) which provide excellent info to help beginner reefer to start on the right track.

As a new reefer, I still can't find a active socal club to join or any information on how to join one. All the website links for any clubs don't work, outdated, expired. Maybe that is the issue.

As a new reefer, I still can't find a active socal club to join or any information on how to join one. All the website links for any clubs don't work, outdated, expired. Maybe that is the issue.

Where are u from? If you are from socal the Scmas is the club

SCMAS meets every 3rd Friday of the month at IHOP in Santa Ana at 7pm.

1001 E. 17th St. Santa Ana, CA

The next meeting is next Friday, October 18th at 7pm.

We are currently rebuilding the website.

Why do you think WWC and TSA thrive and expanding in the east coast while RRUSA n TGC are closing in the west. Dont tell me the east coast reefer are richer....

Once you see the stores in Florida, you will see why. WWC, TSA, and Living Reef are all superb stores that put many of our LFS in So Cal to shame. They should take a page out of their book. Aquaculture is a big part of that. Very few stores in So Cal have any type of online presence, website to make purchases, the list goes on and on.

What I care about is the decline of lfs and the forum..

Post a question on forum, you get 5-10 answers after 24 hours.. hopefully.. before it get into some weird argument.. half of the answers are "SEARCH"..

Post a question on facebook group and you get 50 answers immediately. only issue is it's harder to distinct a pro from some random new guy.

now there are soooo many different facebook coral groups.. makes me not want to look at corals or buy anything anymore.

Back