What a let down from Koralia

smoothdog

Just saw the new controllable Koralia pumps out on drsfostersmith and while the pumps themselves are affordable the 2 pump controller is over $300 and the 4 pump is almost $500!:mad2: Iwas really looking forward to these becoming available and since hydor has become know for reasonably priced innovative products I had just hoped for better pricing. For that kind of money I'd be more inclined to go with Tunze.

I have to agree for that price I would want to see the controller do more then just the few features listed! I would like the have seen the controller price about half of what is listed. Tunze would have to be the way to go considering comparable pricing and available features.

sureflow mod on a maxijet with a seio wavetimer works great, but as far as a non DIY option, Tunze seems like the winner.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12244941#post12244941 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by superedge88
sureflow mod on a maxijet with a seio wavetimer works great, but as far as a non DIY option, Tunze seems like the winner.

Got a link for the seio wavetimer that you'r useing?

Seriously, those prices do not sound right.

I think this is going to somehow encourage people to spend the extra money and get the Tunzes since now we know there's no cheap alternative, might as well get the real thing.

Too bad for Hydor...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12247882#post12247882 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by carlos_fb
Seriously, those prices do not sound right.

I think this is going to somehow encourage people to spend the extra money and get the Tunzes since now we know there's no cheap alternative, might as well get the real thing.

Too bad for Hydor...

Totally agree. If im going to end up paying that much for them i can pay a little more and get the better quality tunze setup. And i run the regular koralias on my tank and have no issues with them.

Actually, the prices are pretty substantially lower than tunze, aren't they?

A 2-way hydor controller and two controllable 4s comes in around $450. That's a whole heck of a lot less than a tunze 7095 multiconroller and two 6055s, which is more like $700. It's unclear to me whether the hydor 2-way controller is equivalent to the tunze multi-controller -- the Dr. Foster's description doesn't seem to indicate whether the hydors can be set to pulse while alternating, like the tunze multicontroller can do. But otherwise, they look pretty equivalent. The range and gph ratings on the hydor 4s are pretty close to the tunze 6055s. The tunzes, though, are much smaller dimension wise and also the tunze multicontroller has the moonlight feature, which is kind of cool.

If you wanted the hydor 4-way controller and four number 4 pumps, you'd spend about $750. For four tunze 6055s and the multicontroller, you're looking at over $1000 -- closer to $1100.

We'll need to see some reviews to see whether these are comparable products, but the savings on the hydors is certainly not negligible. It also seems to come with a wider range of controllable pumps. For example, in the small pump range, the tunze 6055 is the only game in town from 500 to 1500, whereas hydor seems to have several options (although this doesn't mean much since the tunze 6055 can be set to be anything you want in its gph range by changing the voltage). If you need a higher flow controllable pump, the tunze streams are still the only game in town. But for the up-to-100 gallon market, it seems way too early to discount this as a viable, less-expensive (though hardly cheap) option. And, for the record, I just bought a tunze 6055/7095 set up, so I'm hardly biased in saying the hydor seems like a potentially decent deal.

Yeah, but you have to factor in quality as well. The koralias might be cheaper but they dont have the good, well deserved, reputation tunze has. That plays a role when the difference between the setups is only $300 or so.

lark, yeah the price is still considerably lower but if I'm gonna shell out that kind of money I'd rather spend a little extra and go with the tunze or a Vortech. Also the price for the controller just seems way out of whack, the Tunze will control 4 heads out of the box and is expandable and is only about $270. The Koralia that will control four is $490 and if you go with the cheaper one that only controls 2 and decide you want more later then you have to get a whole new controller. To put this in perspective, I can get a pretty nice controller unit that will control power heads, lights, temp and monitor ph out of the box as well as monitor other params with add on probes for that kind of money. $500 for a wavemaker controller? That ain't right.:hmm4:

hopefully the pumps will work with some of the controllers that are out there already. Was really looking forward to buying a complete Koralia system, now I'll look at other alternatives.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12248756#post12248756 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GUILLO1
hopefully the pumps will work with some of the controllers that are out there already. Was really looking forward to buying a complete Koralia system, now I'll look at other alternatives.

I had thought about that too but the power heads are 12v DC designed specially for the controller. Has anyone heard of any kind of controllable DC pump that might work?

EDIT: meant to say DC controller that might work.

Yea, it's really bad for those who already have Koralias. Not only do we need to pay a high price for the controller but then buy 2 new pumps and figure out what to do with the old ones

Back