What a NIGHT!!

MrHarvard

"ship it"
So I got home last night and my clowns were both laying on there sides and breathing very hard. I tried to call my buddy who mixes my water for me but he was already in bed.(Always have water ready on hand in case of 911, lesson learned). So I did the only thing I could I had a bag of Coralife salt under my stand and I wnt to walmart and got some RO water and mixed 14g 1 gallon at a time and checked the Sal. with a friggin hydrometer. Long story short I changed out 14g our of my 20g and when I woke up this morning all my fish were.......................................Still alive THANK GOD!! Im not sure what caused it my levels were ok and all my corals looked great. The only thing I can think of is maybe I had cologne on or my girl sprayed here air fresherner to close to the tank. I just hope whatever happend never happens again and they my fish make it through it. They seemed ok today and they were swimming around so........It was very tramatic!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15423147#post15423147 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pacific Reefs
That was a scare! Do you run carbon?

I guess you could call it that....I have a small mesh bag full?

for a 20gal tank, you really dont need much, but def. have emergency water :) I've been in your shoes before too, except a 125gal tank and a 60 gal water change. those plastic Hydrometers suck so make sure you get your water checked by someone who has a refractometer.

how late at night did you get home? were the fish sleeping? did you check ammonia/nitrates? i've balanced my hydrometer against 2 refactometers and it's spot on, if their read/cleaned properly.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15424884#post15424884 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by unda_da_see
how late at night did you get home? were the fish sleeping?

That was my first thought also, lol

wouldn't that suck. it's late and your dreaming of the deep blue sea and all of sudden you awake to see 2/3 of your water is gone. what a nightmare.

my 2 clowns are always laying on their sides when the lights are out for a while.

My clowns sleep towards the top of the tank and breath slowly. They were deff. dying like they couldnt breath. I checked the water and it all tested ok... Im not sure what the problem was but everything is testing ok today and my fish are eating and seem fine. Also all my shrimp were on there sides as well. I got home late if that still matters.....??

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15425092#post15425092 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jbax
wouldn't that suck. it's late and your dreaming of the deep blue sea and all of sudden you awake to see 2/3 of your water is gone. what a nightmare.

my 2 clowns are always laying on their sides when the lights are out for a while.

Trust me I know what a dying fish and a sleeping fish look like.....LOL...Give me some credit....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15425529#post15425529 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MrHarvard
So I just tested my water and the my ph was at 7.8. Im not sure what I should I do? Its normally at 8.2....

Check it in the AM before lights come on. See if your pH swing is dropping below that.
Also what are your alk & Ca readings? If you're going to maintain pH on the lower side it's been recommended to keep those levels on the higher side.

Another good article on pH.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/rhf/index.php

They were wore out from laying eggs...Just wanted a cigarette!

Didn't you mention they were acting a little funny a couple of days ago?

Yeah but by acting funny i meant like frisky playful. They were eating as usual and there breathing was normal. That could have been the start of the problem though.....Hummmm...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15426828#post15426828 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Typlus5
They were wore out from laying eggs...Just wanted a cigarette!

Didn't you mention they were acting a little funny a couple of days ago?

LOL....probably.....HAHA.

Back