What are some salt water plants that can float on top of / near the surface of the wa

djryan2000

I'm looking to add plants to my salt water (1.023 specific gravity) tank to use them to help filtrate the tank.

I will be planting some in the sand and am looking for plants that I can grow on top of the water as well that can float - I have a lot of crabs and want them to have space. I currently have a 20 gal tank but am considering upgrading to 90. H
Thank you!
[All the guides I found in floating plants were freshwater]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also wondering if there's any type of plankton or algae I can add that wouldn't be immediately eaten by my clownfish and crabs. Would any of these help filter my tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ulva Lactuca does a pretty good job of floating, but nothing like what duckweed (freshwater/brackish) does. Depending on the crabs they might eat any macros you put in there, or they might not eat any.
You could probably plant macros in the substrate even if you wanted them to have space, they'd probably enjoy a nice bed of Caulerpa prolifera or something.

Sargassum Weed is another floater plant. Pods are a great addition, eating algae and also feeding your fish.

Back