What are these critters that look like mini green bubble tip nems?

bluelair

I haven't had many pest problems, all I know is I didn't buy these guys and they're reproducing quite a bit. They haven't killed anything, but seem to br crowding out the zoas. They have short tentacles, are about dime sized, look like miniature green bubble tip anemones. The tentacles are short, with a bulb at the end of each. Lights are out, I can maybe post a pic tomorrow.

Probably Majano, some people call them a tulip anemone. Hard to say without a pic. Do a google search on tulip anemone or green majano and compare.

Last edited:
Since it's green. I think it's a ball anemone.
I have a couple in my tank. Mine are also next to some zoas.
But they all seem to be getting along.

Best guess without a picture.

Is this it? If so its a MOJANO! Considered by many to be a pest anemone much like aiptasia...

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=mojano+coral&FORM=BIFD#x208y179

I bet its a ball tipped nem. I have tons in my dark corners of tank. They only open at night it seems and don't like light. They are very 'clear' except the center disc and balls on the tips of their tentacles.

There are green and blueish varieties.

pseudocorynactis is their sciency name. :D

Last edited:
You guys are right, that's what it is. Definitely not clear, they're mostly a neon green, a little pink, little blue. Not the ugliest thing in my tank. Mine look just like this Google Images picture:

majano-med.jpg

So is there any downside? Will they harm anything or compete with the corals?

Yes, and yes.
Majano will keep multiplying until they overtake your tank.
They are not friendly to corals either.
Read up on them and pick a method to eradicate em.

*(&#$)(#*$)(*#% that brother of mine!
He gave me this saying it was a ball anemone.

Luckily it hasn't spread. I think i'm gonna return the favor back to him. :fun2:

lol pete, nothing like a good brotherly competition, he got ya! lol, ur tank must be doing better than his

if they are not in all places yet i would take them out and eradicate them outside ur tank, IME with them if u try to pick them out inside ur tank and left even their foot they will still multiply,

what i did when i have majano was take the rock they are in and burn them with a torch or, well for me just a lighter and they just fall out of the rock, well some i have to scrape off of the rock

but then that is just me

You can actually pick Mojano Nems off the rocks they are on. They are just miniature nems, they use a foot to attach themselves, they pop right off using a lil screwddriver or fingernail.

^thx for the spelling 125g reefer! :)

Thats hilarious Pete, even with his new tank he's still jealous?! Lol
Isnt he the one who got you addicted..
I mean started in this hobby? Shame on you Romeo! :D

Hands down the best Majano anemone cure for me was Peppermint shrimp. I had a huge infestation and bought 6 peps for my 50gal. Took a long time but they all disapeared.

^thx for the spelling 125g reefer! :)

Thats hilarious Pete, even with his new tank he's still jealous?! Lol
Isnt he the one who got you addicted..
I mean started in this hobby? Shame on you Romeo! :D

I'm still a newB. He even had me feeding them :hmm5:

Majano's are not nearly the pest aptasia are. Just pick some of them off as they get to crowded. Some even look pretty. You can safely keep em and not really worry as long as you prune them back every now and then.

Back