What are these red balls floating around in my tank?

Ranchero

There are small red ball like things floating all in my tank!!
I took a picture of the ones that got stuck in my green star polyps.

Attachments

• DSCF0761_edited.jpg
    DSCF0761_edited.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 0
I believe i'm about to learn something new here heh. btw, are those in like strings? or totally independent from one another.

i think there are some weird jellyfish familycritters that get pretty sci-fi looking, but they do their thing in strings.

i had a purple whip gorg spawn and it put out some pretty decent sized white spheres. maybe something spawned like a Pocillapora or w/e

that's all i got....

No they are all indipended. When they get caught in something that coral makes that oozy stuff to get rid of them. that is what the star poyps are trying to do. I keep using the turkey baster to get them off but they just keep floating around.

do any more aggressive corals seem to be grabbing on to them? like how they grab anything with meat content? gorgs grabbing flake food kind of idea....

i sure could see the ...?medusa stage of stony corals really ticking the rest of the mellower gang off, especially softies

any little kids around the house? heh.

No when they attach to a coral like the star polyps they produce this clear slimy stuff and get rid of them. The apastasia are not eating them either. THe catch one and just hold it for a second. When food passes them they attack it so I have no idea what this stuff is. If its a spawn I wonder who did it

looks similar to this:

image016c.jpg

Which is an image of GSP spawning. Look closely and see if those are actually coming out of the GSP.

it looks a lot like they are the same thing in the pics based on this i would say that this is what it is but not 100%. Where did you find that at smoothdog I would like to read up on this some.
thanks

If this is GSP spawning im turning my filters and skimmer on over drive HAHAHA
I never saw any actually come out of the GSP but I did see one of the red things bump into a GSP arm and the arm caught it and ate it I think. It curled around it.

Back