what brand of silicone to use?

Hyperion1337

Hi, I building a tank pretty soon and want to know what the best and most reliable as well as reef/fish/aquarium safe silicone is currently on the market.

Momentive RTV108 is clear and I believe RTV103 is black. These were GE brand, but name changed. You can get these at Grainger or order online.

If you search the DIY forum for silicone, I think you will find Momentive is the most common recommendation.

GE Silicome I works well. DO NOT USE TYPE II. Lots of reviews on these forums, and personal experience. Major crash. don't use anything with algae or mildew revention and let it cure way longer than the instructions say. A week or two if you have the time.

Anything I can get at HD?

For building tanks? No. For non critical sealing etc, you can use just about any consumer grade sealant, they don't need to hold anything together. As far as what is "safe" or not "safe," this is a cloudy area, with both positive and negative reports on various "types" by the label. Insufficient cure time, being the big "tank crasher," is more reasonable. The label cure times *generally* apply to 1/8" beads, not to the purpose, and amounts, that we use.

For structural purposes, you need the meanest strongest stuff you can get your hands on, and these materials are not on the shelf at your local Home Depot, or any other Big Box, or similar type store.

Dow makes a few materials, that would be suitable for making small tanks <30 gal or so, with good technique, but the two already mentioned, are perhaps the easiest to come by, and are sufficient to get the job done--they are adhesives, rather than sealants. Still though, it is a matter of technique, and familiarity with the materials.

Im sure you have read this already but just incase you havnt you want to stay away from any thing that says anti any thing. from my experince if it says anti fungl, anti mold or anti any thing like that its not reef safe. i see some onle also recomended it. you have to be sure to read all the info, i bought some a few years ago that i was pretty sure didnt have any anti fungle in it i went to use it and was reading the back and in little print it said great for mildew prevention id recomend the rtv108

Any brand is OK, I use the one from HomeDepot.
Just read the label - it MUST say "100% Silicone".

Hi, I building a tank pretty soon and want to know what the best and most reliable as well as reef/fish/aquarium safe silicone is currently on the market.

I just bought the Marineland brand from F&S. It was $8.99 for a 10 oz. tube (fits in a standard chalk gun). Its made for aquariums, so there is no worries. No second guessing.

uncleof6 Im assuming GE SCS1200 CG silicon works fairly well and is aquarium safe?

Yes it is. The literature states that "successful aquarium applications have been accomplished."

100% aquarium safe and better tensile strength than Momentive RTV. :fish1:

This is true, however the strength of the aquarium does not depend on the tensile strength of the silicone, rather silicone's weaker property: Adhesive strength--how well it sticks to the glass. This is the difference between the consumer grade "sealants" and "structural adhesives." Both SCS1200 and the Momentive product perform well in this application.

I just bought the Marineland brand from F&S. It was $8.99 for a 10 oz. tube (fits in a standard chalk gun). Its made for aquariums, so there is no worries. No second guessing.

Without searching the product data sheet from the actual "manufacturer" of this product, it would be my best guess, that it is little more than a consumer grade sealant, similar if not identical to the DAP product (Dow) available at home depot, and Aqueon/AGA branded (Dow) silicones. Neither is a structural adhesive.

dang, just searched up momentive on amazon, the rtv103 (black?) and its expensive. im still deciding on the brand and its tough.. :(

Back