what cacium to use????

hernluis

Hello

im trying to decide which calcium to use. Im using kents turbo calcium right now (anhydrous calcium chloride) but its fairly expensive. what do you guys thing about dow's peladow (anhydrous calcium chloride)? is this stuff reef safe? Where can i purchase? thanks

Luis H

I (or am going to) use the <a href="http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/calcium-alkalinity-magnesium/two-part-calcium-and-alkalinity-solution/two-part-calcium-and-alkalinity-total-package-large-1.html" target=_blank>Two Part Calcium and Alkalinity Total Package from Bulk Reef Supply</a>

Any of the Dow calcium chloride products such as Peladow, DowFlake Xtra, Prestone Driveway Heat or QuikJoe IceMelt are fine and safe to use.

I mix my calcium using dow's peladow, magnesium using a combination of the MAG flake/Epsom salt, Alk using baked baking soda. No more expensive powders or liquids for me. The calcium and magnesium stuff I buy at a farmer's feed warehouse.

i have read it but the problem is trying to locate a suitable source of the materials that doesnt cost 20-30 to ship

HOB
"The calcium and magnesium stuff I buy at a farmer's feed warehouse."
Can you elaborate on that?

Not sure how much I can elaborate on it.

I have a farmer's feed warehouse that sells these in bags. I bug a bag of Dow's Peladow (Calcium Chloride) for my calcium (can use Dow's Flake too), a bag of MAG Flake (Magnesium Chloride) and a bag of Epsom salt (Magnesium Sulphate) for my Magnesium (blend them at a ratio 5:3 cups), and I buy Baking Soda (Sodium Carbonate) in bulk at Costco and bake it for my Alkalinity. I'm not a chemist so don't quote me on exactly what each bag/source is. I use the reef calculator to calculate how much to add to get to my desired levels (and while dialing in my doser) as now my doser automatically doses them to maintain my current levels. All ingredients are diluted in a gallon of water to keep my concentration levels consistent while dosing (although I may do 5 gallons at a time - a bucket of salt).

I basically use (link to the reef calculator is there also):
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

My "automatic doser" is just 3 aqualift pumps on timers to spread the doses throughout the night at different times.

Hope that more than answers your question.

Back