What can cause cloudy/merky water after a water change?

jpeconsult

What can cause cloudy water after a water change?...24 hours after a water change?

58g RR with softies. Using the miracle mud, and have been since January 2006. A normal 10g water change was done Wed night and Thursday evening, I notice cloudy water and corals shrivled up. Have been using Oceanic salt since January 2006. temperature change was less than 1/2 degree after water change. I am completely confussed.

All info and assistance is appreciated. --Jeremy

jpeconsult

I did take a net and "combed" the sand bed for coral debris/snail/hermit shells. This was done immediately after the water change on Wednesday evening. The water is cloudy as if I added Aragamilk or other "milky" additive. Any other ideas?

Mike O'Brien

Could be an ammonia spike that caused a bacterial bloom. That's one of the leading causes for cloudy water. Otherwise you could have added the water too soon and caused some precipitation.

jpeconsult

Usually don't test nitrite/amonia. Just checked after reading your reply. Both Nitrite and Amonia are perfect. Explain the "..added the water too soon and caused some precipitation." 1+ year experience, please forgive. Any other thoughts? Should I be jumpy or give it a day or two to filter?

Mike O'Brien

How long did you let the new salt water mix before adding it. And did you check the pH first. Sometimes new salt water has a high pH after mixing. If you add that to the tank you can cause a precipitation event that will cloud the water.

If it is a bacterial bloom the ammonia will have already been used up by the growing bacteria.

I'd probably just wait it out.

jpeconsult

wait! probably the only thinkg i can do at 10:00 pm, eh?! Another thing to consider...I did not mention. I changed a 24gpd r/o membrane to a 50gpd membrane and flow restrictor prior to making water for water change. Looking back...should I have run a few gallons through before using it?