What can cause cloudy/merky water after a water change?

jpeconsult

What can cause cloudy water after a water change?...24 hours after a water change?

58g RR with softies. Using the miracle mud, and have been since January 2006. A normal 10g water change was done Wed night and Thursday evening, I notice cloudy water and corals shrivled up. Have been using Oceanic salt since January 2006. temperature change was less than 1/2 degree after water change. I am completely confussed.

All info and assistance is appreciated. --Jeremy

I did take a net and "combed" the sand bed for coral debris/snail/hermit shells. This was done immediately after the water change on Wednesday evening. The water is cloudy as if I added Aragamilk or other "milky" additive. Any other ideas?

Could be an ammonia spike that caused a bacterial bloom. That's one of the leading causes for cloudy water. Otherwise you could have added the water too soon and caused some precipitation.

Usually don't test nitrite/amonia. Just checked after reading your reply. Both Nitrite and Amonia are perfect. Explain the "..added the water too soon and caused some precipitation." 1+ year experience, please forgive. Any other thoughts? Should I be jumpy or give it a day or two to filter?

How long did you let the new salt water mix before adding it. And did you check the pH first. Sometimes new salt water has a high pH after mixing. If you add that to the tank you can cause a precipitation event that will cloud the water.

If it is a bacterial bloom the ammonia will have already been used up by the growing bacteria.

I'd probably just wait it out.

wait! probably the only thinkg i can do at 10:00 pm, eh?! Another thing to consider...I did not mention. I changed a 24gpd r/o membrane to a 50gpd membrane and flow restrictor prior to making water for water change. Looking back...should I have run a few gallons through before using it?

Back