What could cause zoanthids to no longer open up?

speckled trout

Why would zoanthids quit opening up? I've had some varieties for years and recently most of them quite opening. I'm not doing anything different and the water parameters seem the same. I haven't added anything for almost a year, either.

Also, all the other corals continue to extend their polyps. I have some digitatas, mushrooms, frogspawn, galaxy, brain coral, etc. They all seem normal and this has been going on for a couple of months, now. Water changes don't seem to help, either. They just stay closed. :(

What would ya'll recommend that I check, in particular? Any ideas could prove helpful.

Thanks,
Mike

I have seen the Asterina Starfish in my tank for a long time. Does anyone know which variety causes the problem? Are there any methods of getting rid of them?

Some are herbivores some turn zoa assasins. I really don't know, but my guess is that 1 long leg? ( someone correct me if I'm wrong )

Manual removal is best, if you have hundreds to thousands then a Harlequin Shrimp does the job but will quickly erreadicate it but will starve since it only eats starfish legs/feet.

Are they just closed or are they melting away? I have some that close up for a while. If they don't open after a few days, a gentle brushing with a toothbrush usually helps. Unless they are melting... that's another story.

The starfish that I've noticed are very small. Most I would say are approximately .5mm. Does this sound correct? They have very irregular lengthed arms, as well.

Most of them have slowly dissapeared over the last couple of months. I just assumed they were dying from not enough light because they always stayed closed. Some have completely disappeared, though. The only zoas I have that still look good are a pinkiish variety that took up residence near a wave making pump that really kicks out the water. They actually stay open even in the high current.

Your attention to this matter is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Back