What did JBJ send me, Bizarre hood on new 24g nano cube

Candi

Hope someone can help me figure out what I just unboxed. I purchased a standard 24g compact fluorescent nano cube. Box came looking as expected, but when I just opened it to make sure it didn't have any damage and get ready to test fill it I got a surprise.

I lifted the hood and instead of the 2 36W CF bulbs I expected I see these two led strip lights/bulbs (what are these things, google isn't helping) One is attached, one is free floating. I plugged it in and the one lights up as expected, but another big surprise... it's silent, as in I'm 99% sure (without removing screws & the clear cover) that there are no fans in there... I've never heard of a tank without fans. So what are these strange bulbs, why don't I have fans, did I some how get some sort of prototype? The extras in the tank were also strange, nothing in bags/boxes, just all shoved in the rear compartments randomly.

I haven't contacted the seller yet, since I want to know what I'm dealing with first ;)

What did JBJ send me, Bizarre hood on new 24g nano cube

It's probably just an updated version- those leds look to be able to put out a bit more than the 2 x 36w cfl you were expecting, but use less energy and run a lot cooler (hence the lack of fans). I'm not familiar with the actual tank, but I personally wouldn't be too upset with that light.

Also- just reseat the second strip in the bracket like you would for any bulb (prongs into brackets and rotate slightly?) and it should fire right up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like they are just using CFL retrofit LEDs now and don't need to use fans due to the reduced heat..
A quick search looks like its nothing their "marketing" department wants to shout about as I didn't see anything about it..

Even stranger, the serial number on the box and the tank don't match.... so you think it's probably fine to run w/o any fans? Would you just be happy about this and stay quiet, or would you contact the seller? I wish I had some info on the led bulbs, I plan to have this be a softy tank... really don't know anything about LEDs, no idea if this is too high or too low or fine for mostly zoas?

hard to read the bulb in my photo, it says
2G11S LED TUBE
Power: 10W
Length 320mm Cover: Clear
Luminous Flux: 1000LM
Color: Blue/White
Input Voltage: 85:265V 50/60Hz

Thanks!

here's the hood, only one plug but two switches for the bulbs. The "vents" are purely decorative, nothing is actually open except on the sides there are actual open ventings.

Attachments

• IMG_2206.jpg
    IMG_2206.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 0
If this was purchased as a "new" item from a reputable seller then I would not question anything..
If you bought this used then I might.. but I will ensure you that its entirely possible to replace CFL's with LED and not need fans..
Turn it on and check temps with your hand after 2 hours of it running..
If nothing is scalding hot then its totally fine..
Not a bad idea to monitor water temps either to see if its raising water temps any..

It was purchased from DFS, I heard back from JBJ, my only confusion is that the bulbs say 10W and the email states 40 watts?

Hello

Thank you for contacting us.

Option one, If you are looking for 24g compact fluorescent light model, you need to contact the seller to get it exchange
If there have any available in their inventory.

This is the new replacement model for 24g compact fluorescent, New 24g LED are the newest just release this month and
More benefit than fluorescent lighting. Less or no heat without fan so there will be no fan noise
No need to replace LED light lamp every 12 months like florescent. And yes, there 40watts LED lighting are perfect for soft coral.

We apologize about the condition of shipping, most carrier do not handle with care even we label them as glass aquarium.

If there is any problem with the aquarium, it will be cover under factory warranty up to 12 months.

Best Regards,
www.JBJAQUARIUM.com

Is it possible the 10w LED is equivalent to 40w of Fluorescents?

Kinda like how household LED lights are branded. My 7w LED bulb is equivalent to a 60w incandescent...?

Followed up for clarification:

Hi,

This is quite new and out IT are updateing the web.
Sorry about the wrong information on wattage,
We are releasing two model 24g LED and 28g LED
24g LED is 20 watt
28g LED is 40 watt

You have the latest model 24g LED.

I am surprised I received one in the old style box with the old paperwork etc... wonder how many confused people they might have on their hands until they update info online and packaging.

Back