What direction should i take my LPS tank in???

Elliott89

Hi all

Im making a few changes to my tank as i feel my current tank has kinda lost a sense of direction and just looks like a tank full of bits and pieces...i prefer more solid looking tank with mainly larger colonies if u know what i mean rather than stuffed to the brim with every variety of Chalice or Acan Available...

So these are my options...Mixed LPS reef..a nice colony to represent most the popular types available..say scoly,acan,trachy etc

Mostly Acans..not frags but say 5 or so stunning large colonies

Mostly Stunning rainbow coloured brains and Scolys so u get that ''fluffy'' kinda look

Or another thing i thought of was to have mainly non photo LPS like Dendros and Rhizos...

I think with LPS tanks they really need a certain direction as otherwise they can just look like fruit on a green grocers stool if that makes any sense lol

Anyway i would like to hear some opinions on this

Thanks

Elliott

You could make any of those options work quite nicely if you chose the "right" pieces (colors and size) and aquascaped well. How the liverock is laid out in a tank makes all the difference IMO. Which LPS do you have experience keeping? What are your favorite species? What would you like to keep that you have never tried? Pick colorful corals and try to arrange them tastefully. Hope you are happy with your choices!

Mixed would be my preference. Its what I'm trying to do. Actually, the *beep*! ing coralimorphs that were added early in my tank's evolution have decided on their own plan: Take Over Everything! And I thought the striped one was dead & gone.
Well, my LPS tank is Favia ( number 1 LPS!) colonies, & a Tubastrea, & one big bubble colony. And mine are colonies mostly.

Sincerely,
Matthew

Maybe this will inspire you.

IMG_0764.jpg

I totaly agree with having larger colonies. I've never quite liked the look of a tank cramed with bits and pieces (no matter how nice that tiny 1inch frag is).

The direction of my tank is (and don't laugh at my extreemly technical term) "Pretty flowy things" . :eek: ok.....go ahead and laugh !

Most of my stuff is Euphyllia, or similar, anything that sways in the current, or is fluffy. Everything in my tank has MOVEMENT !

Here's my tank, for some insparation too.

Picture041-1.jpg

Picture045.jpg

Picture042.jpg

Exactly what I have in my mind when I set up my 38G. Acan's, a Big monti, and a big leather. Obviously not too big as it will only be a 38G tank.

Very nice poukie! Looks like that anthias could use a buddy or two though ;)

And whatever happened to that 300g tank that you won?

Well, your tank is looking good...but you're right, it needs more flowy things in it to give it some more life.

JJ21, i answerd your question with a PM.

poukie thats a nice tank especially the purple coraline on the edge looks like a frame..do u buy em by colony and how long youve grown your corals?

poukie thats a nice tank especially the purple coraline on the edge looks like a frame..do u buy em by colony and how long youve grown your corals?

I think you'd be really missing out on the whole concept of an LPS tank without some Euphyllia in it. The movement and color is a fantastic combo.

Michelle, your tank is stunning!

SDguy: Nah, gotta have a brain coral or two, in a LPS reef, of course. We all know that...
LOL

Matthew

elliot, if you need to make room for something more flowy in your tank, i'd be glad to take one of those scolymias off of your hands ;)

Back