What do I have ?? HELP - Inherited 100-120g tank

Noob2022

My grandparents just passed away and I decided to inherit their 100-120g tank. They have had this tank for over 15-20 years and I have no clue what I have. I just know I didn’t want my family to sell it and want to make sure I keep it going for my own kids. I have no experience with a salt water tank and have spent the last week trying to learn as much as possible.

Can someone please tell me what type of coral I have? Also I have a yellow tang, but it looks like it’s in bad shape. Fins are damaged and really want to help the little guy recover.

I really would like to add more fish, but taking my time learning how to even maintain the tank first. Currently talking to my local fish shop for help with someone who actually knows what they are doing to come and help clean n maintain it. Really don’t want to make changes to anything until I first understand what I have and how to take care of it. Very excited with the possibilities and directions I can go with this tank.

open to all suggestions n advice. Really just want to know what I have first.

Attachments

• photo412040.jpg
    photo412040.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 4
  • photo412043.jpg
    photo412043.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
  • photo412044.jpg
    photo412044.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 4
I see lots of frogspawn coral ( right side and bottom left corner), a bubble coral ( pretty much center) and the other big one on the left looks like some kind of leather coral. All hardy, low to medium flow, medium light. Can tolerate higher nutrient water. Research those corals. The tang is likely hungry because I don't see much algae for it in there. You can get some nori ( roasted dried seaweed) from the supermarket and put it on a clip for it. Your grandparents probably have the clip in their stuff and maybe some nori too.

Sorry for the loss of your grandparents. What a beautiful tank; it shows signs of being very well cared for. Don't panic- through your reading, I'm sure you've come across the day-to-day items to monitor, including temperature, lighting schedule, water top-off and so on. We're here to help.

The main advice I'd give is to be very wary of any local retailer, and trust in your own commitment to self-educate. Did your grandparent(s) belong to any local reef clubs, or have friends who also kept tanks? They might be a resource. Best of luck!

I'm sure there is food amongst the things with the tank. Tangs are essentially vegetarians so that would be something to look for in a "flake food", a medium sized container is fine as the other fish will eat it too. The tank looks well cared for so if you can keep it where it is as far as water is concerned it will go a long way to success. You are going to have to become a chemist trainee as we all did when we started this journey. Check for any test kits to inform you of water parameters. PH, Calcium. Alkalinity. & Magnesium along with either a hydrometer or salinity refractometer to see what the salinity of the water is. Sounds like a lot but not to worry it will come with a little reading and Patience. That last word Patience is the hard one but there is truth to the saying, " Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank", Good luck the tank looks great.

Thank you so much! Very helpful just known the names of the Corals. Been trying to match the pictures with the names for a few days now.

They had a guy that comes over once every 3 weeks to clean it and check the water, but that’s it. Not members of local reef clubs or anything like that. All of you have eluded to the one thing I am slowly realizing, I need to become a “chemist trainee”.

i will definitely go pick up some Seaweed and make sure the Tang is feed.

Very nice looking tank! The stickies at the top of this forum have a wealth of information that will help get you started with your research. Be sure to ask lots of questions, were here to help answer and get you on your way to keeping that pretty tank healthy.

Back