What do I need in my sump???

wisco-reef

I have a 75gl tank with a 20gl sump that is sectioned off into three parts. In the first part (starting from left to right) I have some live rock,glass bottom, and that's where the water from the tank comes into the sump. In the middle part I have 3in of sump mud, that I have to change, Some cheato, crab, small peices of live rock and some plants, In the final section I have 2 small peice's of live rock and the pump that pump's water back up. Is there anything else I need. I'm taking my canister filter out today because I think it might be causing problems.

Re: What do I need in my sump???

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14816775#post14816775 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wisco-reef
I have a 75gl tank with a 20gl sump that is sectioned off into three parts. In the first part (starting from left to right) I have some live rock,glass bottom, and that's where the water from the tank comes into the sump. In the middle part I have 3in of sump mud, that I have to change, Some cheato, crab, small peices of live rock and some plants, In the final section I have 2 small peice's of live rock and the pump that pump's water back up. Is there anything else I need. I'm taking my canister filter out today because I think it might be causing problems.

I would remove the live rock from the last section or pump system--you want that area clear of debris so it doesn't interfer with the return pump--the live rock does add a good deal of detrius to the bottom of the sump.

Why do you have to change the mud in the second section--aka your refugium?

I would gut your canister filter and fill it with carbon--run it that way--change out the carbon every three weeks.

Put you skimmer in the first section then your refug, add your heaters in there if you like, then your return, keep your return clean and empty, just water.

Reconfigure my sump...getting microbubbles in my display

Im not a pro so I would like some help.I have a 100 GL reef with 200 lbs of live rock a pair of clowns a cardinal. Lawmower blenny. Medium yellow tang royal gramma and a foxface
I also have a variety of Corals ...I have an overflow which flows 600 gph I also installed an eheim 2128 filter that is good for up to a 165 GL tank.
My sump( the problem) I have three chambers first ...live rock and then the skimmed chamber that flows back into the first chamber and then. I have a bubble trap that doesn't seem to work and at the end is my return pump that I have sponges before it to help eliminate micro bubbles....IS THERE A BETTER WAY THAT I SHOULD HAVE THIS AND DO I NEED TO HAVE LIVE ROCK IN MY SUMP SINCE I HAVE SO MUCH IN MY DISPLAY.HELP!!!

Below is pic of how I have my 3 section sump configured.

Left to Right
Skimmer section - water from tank enters here as well

Fuge with sand some LR and cheeto - I do have a small Rio powerhead in there for added circulation.

Return section with Return pump

I dont have probs with microbubbles.
I shop vac out the skimmer and return sections once a month for cleaning.
I have my sump plumbed for doing WC out/in of the sump.
hope this helps
Sump12132009.jpg

Im not a pro so I would like some help.I have a 100 GL reef with 200 lbs of live rock a pair of clowns a cardinal. Lawmower blenny. Medium yellow tang royal gramma and a foxface
I also have a variety of Corals ...I have an overflow which flows 600 gph I also installed an eheim 2128 filter that is good for up to a 165 GL tank.
My sump( the problem) I have three chambers first ...live rock and then the skimmed chamber that flows back into the first chamber and then. I have a bubble trap that doesn't seem to work and at the end is my return pump that I have sponges before it to help eliminate micro bubbles....IS THERE A BETTER WAY THAT I SHOULD HAVE THIS AND DO I NEED TO HAVE LIVE ROCK IN MY SUMP SINCE I HAVE SO MUCH IN MY DISPLAY.HELP!!!

WOW I WANNA BE LIKE YOU WHEN I GROW UP THANKS ALOT...I THINK IM REARRANGING. MY SUMP....FIRST SKIMMER THEN FUGE AND THEN RETURN...would it be too much to ask a bit more detail I see three baffles but no sure how the return section is setup also I see ball valves I rreally appreciate all your help

Back