what do sea anemones eat

mcnetwork

I have a pink sea anemone and I am really not sure what to feed it, Do I have to get feeder fish? or Brine Shrimp? I have Krill I have put in the tank but its tenticles are starting to shrivel a little and I am worried its not getting enough to eat. Thanks.

Mark

just spot feed it anything meat... mysis, brine, they eat coral frenzy really anything :) feeder fish, aren't nessacarry actually i don't think it would be possible unless you held the fish in the anemones mouth till it had time to sting it and wrap around it.

I feed my anems scalops and shrimp. Go to the grocery store and get the raw ones, I usually order like 2 jumbo shrimp and 1 large scalop. They always look at me funny :p

Cut to small size chunks and I wrap them seprate. Freeze the rest and only pull out what your going to feed that week from the freezer.

Fed it

Fed it

I just cut about a 1inch by 1inch piece of talapia that was in the fridge and gave it to it. It seems to be wrapping around it. Is this too big of a piece? Thanks for your info.

Mark

In my opinion, 1 inch by 1 inch is too big. The rule I've seen with some reefkeepers here in Japan is "no bigger than your fingernail." (This is assuming you don't have massive hands.) The smaller the better. Large pieces can cause some major stress to anemones.

BTW, as I understand it the food size should not be bigger than the anemone's mouth. Shrimp and silversides are good things to use. Soaking in Selcon occasionally is beneficial. Mysis and the like are good too.

The following site is a good read if you have a BTA:
http://www.karensroseanemones.com/

Mysis, Plankton, Krill. I just squirt it into the anemone. You can also give them silversides or even smelt if they will take it.

Back