what do you do with dead fish?

Fishlip

Ive notioced that some LFS have dead fish in their tank. Do they keep it there on purpose or they just dont see it?
What do you do when you fish dies?

LFS usually dont care if they are leaving dead fsh in the tank.. I have only had 1 fish die on me before, and he went on a tour of the city...

****flushhhh*****

I doubt they keep them in on purpose. That would lead to problems, as i'm sure you know. Some use their dead fish for food for other fish, some just flush em. Luckily, i've never had that problem.

I think it's bad form for any fish store (chain, local or any) to leave dead fish floating in the tanks. It give people that idea that "it's just a stupid fish" mentality. Dead puppies or kittens laying around a pet store would have police throwing people in jail. An animal is an animal, regardless of where it lives or how "cheap" it is.

ive seen some lfs ( wont mention the name) feed them to predators. if its too big for the toilet bowl i just walk him out to the dumpster

Bacteria don't need dead fish to grow, just surface area to populate. A thin layer of sand can hold millions of bacteria in a tiny area.

One LFS I know of actually keeps them in ziploc bags in the freezer and when tax time comes (like right now) he claims them as losses.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6965555#post6965555 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chris2222000
One LFS I know of actually keeps them in ziploc bags in the freezer and when tax time comes (like right now) he claims them as losses.

LMAO!

If you can get them out, move them. If you can't, figure that nature and chemistry will take their course. Death happens. It's our job to be sure it happens infrequently.

I work weekends at a LFS, I assure you no self-respecting LFS will leave dead fish in a tank - not only is it bad for business, it can create ammonia spikes which lead to the death of other fish. We do a DFR (dead fish run), or 'round' as the new boss calls it, each hour or so just to make sure the tanks are clear of dead or dying fish. Luckily, because we isolate and treat as many sick fish as possible I rarely find myself collecting bodies these days (different story with the old management).

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6965543#post6965543 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fmellish
I toast some seaweed, make a little rice, you get the idea.

LMAO!!!!!

If something ever dies I flush it or throw it in the trash. As for LFS, I could not see why they would let dead fish stay in the tank? I would leave that store for sure!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6964864#post6964864 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fareforce
I have only had 1 fish die on me before, and he went on a tour of the city...

lmao, I dunno why but this made my crack up.

Flush em

I would not feed them to other fish , if it was sick it could cause the one who ate it to become sick...not a good idea

Back