What do you guys use for wood treatement?

Daddyrawg

So I'm about done building my custom stand and before I paint and primer I was wondering what you guys use for wood moisture treatment in case water gets on the wood? What can I use to protect the wood from moisture dmg and then be able to paint and primer after?

Thx

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Kilz's Oil Based Primer
Rustoleum Oil Based for the top coat.

I do 2 coats of each. Never had a water issuse.

Poly goes after stain. Two different looks. One painted with oil-basesd; one stained wood with plasticized finish.

I'm trying to figure out when I apply poly..
When you say aftet stain does that mean last step? So I want to prime white, then paint over prime a gray color, then do I apply poly?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Sounds as you desire a "paint" finish, Sk8r is describing a "stain" finish. Two entirely different animals. For your paint finish, prime using 1 to 2 coats then paint using 2 coats min to ensure complete coverage. When completely dry I always caulk all the joints as the paint will usually crack in those areas.

Sounds as you desire a "paint" finish, Sk8r is describing a "stain" finish. Two entirely different animals. For your paint finish, prime using 1 to 2 coats then paint using 2 coats min to ensure complete coverage. When completely dry I always caulk all the joints as the paint will usually crack in those areas.

^^^This^^^

It's an either/or situation IMHO. For my DIY stand, it was a coat of stain and then several coats of satin exterior polyurethane. For most of the stands I have built for others, a couple coats of good primer (I'm a Kilz guy too) and then 2-3 coats of a quality latex top coat. For the inside bottom, I use a couple coats of FlexSeal to create a nice watertight sump area so no caulk needed.

Back