What do you think of my stock list?

Western_reefer

Reef keeper
1 regular Sailfin Tang
1 Yellow Tang
Maybe 1 Swallowtail Angelfish
Maroon Clownfish
1 Mandarin Fish
30-40 small gobies, blennies, and other fish that stay under 3 inches.

The tank is a 180 gallon reef with a 55 gallon fuge making a total volume of 235 gallons. I have 300 lb of live rock total in the system and will add 30 more lb of live rock soon making it a total of 330 lb. I'm also going to have 1.5-2 inches of sand in the DT and 1/2 of the 55 gallon is going to be full of chaeto. Is the stock list too big?

Last edited:
The 2 Mandarins might fight it out and one might die. You might get lucky though. Whatever you do build up slow. Dont dump to big a bioload all at once.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14821327#post14821327 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by D&KSac
The 2 Mandarins might fight it out and one might die. You might get lucky though. Whatever you do build up slow. Dont dump to big a bioload all at once.
Yeah, I'll get one mandarin then. Yeah, I know, dumping a ton of fish at once will cause an ammonia spike.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14821325#post14821325 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rob1991
30-40 gobies! thats a crazy amount i would say like 15 max lol. but thats just me i guess.
Yeah. lol I like alot of tiny fish in a big tank rather than few very large fish in a big tank.

Also many gobies will compete with the mandarins for food source. Unless you can find a mandarin that has been trained to eat pellets or frozen, they will rely solely on pods which can take a while to build up a sustainable population and probably won;t be sustained if there are multiple species consuming them consistantly.

Also, you may want to consider adding a third tang such as a scopas or purple tang to deflect the aggression between the two. The theory behind it being that one will not constantly harass the other, instead they will each take their turn. (doesn't always work this way though)

good luck!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14821360#post14821360 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by krustofsky
Also many gobies will compete with the mandarins for food source. Unless you can find a mandarin that has been trained to eat pellets or frozen, they will rely solely on pods which can take a while to build up a sustainable population and probably won;t be sustained if there are multiple species consuming them consistantly.

Also, you may want to consider adding a third tang such as a scopas or purple tang to deflect the aggression between the two. The theory behind it being that one will not constantly harass the other, instead they will each take their turn. (doesn't always work this way though)

good luck!
Ok. What about a Chevron Tang instead of a scopas or purple tang?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14821378#post14821378 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Western_reefer
Ok. What about a Chevron Tang instead of a scopas or purple tang?

Maybe, it kind of relates to body shape. Tangs with the same shape such as purple, yellow, sailfin, scopas, etc... are all more likely to spar with each other than with tangs of other shapes. For instance, I have a blue tang, a purple tang, and a kole tang in my tank and none of them have any issue with each other.

Having said all that, every fish has it's own personality and what works for one person may not work for another. give it a shot and add or subtract when needed but you gotta have the fish you want in your tank. BTW if you add a purple, add it last (they can be meannnn)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14821417#post14821417 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by krustofsky
Maybe, it kind of relates to body shape. Tangs with the same shape such as purple, yellow, sailfin, scopas, etc... are all more likely to spar with each other than with tangs of other shapes. For instance, I have a blue tang, a purple tang, and a kole tang in my tank and none of them have any issue with each other.

Having said all that, every fish has it's own personality and what works for one person may not work for another. give it a shot and add or subtract when needed but you gotta have the fish you want in your tank. BTW if you add a purple, add it last (they can be meannnn)
Ok, thanks for the info/help!

Re: What do you think of my stock list?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14821313#post14821313 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Western_reefer

The tank is a 180 gallon reef with a 55 gallon fuge making a total volume of 235 gallons. I have 300 lb of live rock total in the system and will add 30 more lb of live rock soon making it a total of 330 lb. I'm also going to have 1.5-2 inches of sand in the DT and 1/2 of the 55 gallon is going to be full of chaeto. Is the stock list too big?

your 180g tank with 330lbs of rock in it will only realistically hold no more than 120g of water. My 180g tank with 160lbs or so of rock only holds 140-150g of water. My sump/fuge is a 75g but realistically it only holds maybe 20-30g of water. so I'm guessing your tank will hold a total of no more than 150g of water if your lucky.
as for the amount of fish, be ready to do weekly water changes and add a dsb or some kind of nitrate removal system cuss with that much fish you're guaranteed to have a problem controlling nitrates and maybe even phosphates.
I'm like you also, I love fish. I love fish so much that I would rather have fish over corals if I could only have one or the other. so I understand where your coming from. good luck, let us know how it works out for you.

Re: Re: What do you think of my stock list?

Re: Re: What do you think of my stock list?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14821657#post14821657 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jthao
your 180g tank with 330lbs of rock in it will only realistically hold no more than 120g of water. My 180g tank with 160lbs or so of rock only holds 140-150g of water. My sump/fuge is a 75g but realistically it only holds maybe 20-30g of water. so I'm guessing your tank will hold a total of no more than 150g of water if your lucky.
as for the amount of fish, be ready to do weekly water changes and add a dsb or some kind of nitrate removal system cuss with that much fish you're guaranteed to have a problem controlling nitrates and maybe even phosphates.
I'm like you also, I love fish. I love fish so much that I would rather have fish over corals if I could only have one or the other. so I understand where your coming from. good luck, let us know how it works out for you.
All 300lb of live rock isn't in the DT lol. Its total amount of live rock, DT and fuge. How big water changes? 10% weekly?

well, I did 40g water changes weekly to keep my nitrates down. so I'd say it's probably more than 10%.
what u still doing up at midnight on school night? :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14821680#post14821680 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jthao
well, I did 40g water changes weekly to keep my nitrates down. so I'd say it's probably more than 10%.
what u still doing up at midnight on school night? :D
Ok.
lol I'm home schooled.:p

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14821325#post14821325 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rob1991
30-40 gobies! thats a crazy amount i would say like 15 max lol. but thats just me i guess.

Ditto and when Rob says it then you know its alot :p

Mandarins are beautiful fish, but they are a big challenge to make happy. I would imagine it would be even more difficult in such a large tank with a large variety of animals competing for the same food. Good luck!

I think 30-40gobies is way to many IMO.. My 180 looks pretty full with just 3 anthias-2 false percs-mimic tang-blue jaw trigger-gold spotted rabbitfish

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14824012#post14824012 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bamm Bamm
Moses what are you planning on running for a skimmer??
Not sure. Was thinking about getting no skimmer at all.

Back